Help with oil cooler!!!

I noticed the truck had been taking antifreeze and took it in, and they told me it was the egr cooler..i fixed it the right way:) and put it back together, never even thought about checking the oil cooler.. took it in to the dealer ship today and they checked my coolant system.. he said 25psi over was ok, but mine was 45.. he said i needed to change the oil cooler asap or i'll blow the head gaskets.. but i have no clue where the oil cooler is.. has anybody else replaced this and do i need the oil cooler to egr cooler adapter kit? or can i just get a new oil cooler and call it good?

head of few people using the cooler off of a 7.3 because it was larger and just a better cooler other than that cant help much

The oil cooler is under your oil/fuel filter housing. You have to remove the intake manifold to get it off. It isn't the easiest of parts to replace but they go out all the time.

the oil cooler is located in the valley of the engine, you have to remove the intake manifold,turbo, basically everything on top of the motor, it's under the oil filter housing, if you have to replace it maybe look into elite diesel, or i think it's liberator diesel, that have external oil cooler systems, if you have a scanner, check you'll oil temp vs coolant temp

Ok so i did some research in the bible and found out i was right there when i was doing my egr.. But do i replace the whole cooler and everything or just the top part with the passages? cant really remember, but do i have to take the turbo off to get the intake man. off?

head of few people using the cooler off of a 7.3 because it was larger and just a better cooler other than that cant help much

So does the 7.3 cooler mount up the same exact way? with the same bolt pattern and same passages for coolant and oil?

The 7.3 cooler is totally different and will not mount where the 6.0 is. Don't know how anyone would use a 7.3 cooler for a 6.0, but it won't be cheep and easy by any means if even possible.

Ok so i did some research in the bible and found out i was right there when i was doing my egr.. But do i replace the whole cooler and everything or just the top part with the passages? cant really remember, but do i have to take the turbo off to get the intake man. off?

Replace the whole assembly. Yes, take the turbo off.

i been looking at some of the oil coolers on ebay for around 235 but it dont seem like its the whole assembly.. it is 2 pieces isn't it? it looks like that is just the top part without the cooler

I might have an extra used one you can have, if your interested. If I was that far in there, I would replace it with a new one. PM me if interested, and I'll look.

i blocked it off this past weekend.. and kicking myself in the arse for not checking the oil cooler.. but i guess this makes me a better tech at it lol.. i dont know how comp. diesel is about talking about it but thedieselstop :banned: me for a few weeks for talking about illegal activity :rules::blahblah1:

We don't care what you talk about, but lets not talk about other sites. What they do is up to them, what we do makes us Comp D. You can discuss damn near anything here.

The new oil cooler does not come with the top. You must swap it over. Do NOT flip it over and lose the check valve under the oil filter. The bolts are self tapping and create new threads in the new oil cooler. Its an 05 manifold. you can pull it without pulling the turbo and fight it every bit of the way, or take 10 more minutes and have the turbo off.

25psi is normal? You are at 45psi? I really hope you mean degrees. If you replaced the EGR cooler before and are now looking at the oil cooler, you better flow test that EGR cooler before putting it back on.

7.3L oil cooler mounts to the side of the block. They pop just as often. First Hotline fix from ford back in 99 was Dawn dishwasher detergent to get the oil out of the block. Now its simple green degreaser. While you are in there get the updated oil feed tube to the turbo charger. Since the hotter oil has been running thought it, it will weaken the rubber lining inside the flex joint. New tube is solid. You can pull the VGT out and check for little black specs on it.

Thanks for the help PSD, but which part is usually the one that goes bad? the top part or the cooler itself? I blocked off my egr cooler this past weekend but i never even thought about doing the oil cooler..

The bottom part that is submerged in the high pressure reservoir. The top part is just there for the oil filter to bolt to and route the fluids. The bottom part is the mini radiator.

Back