Help with performance cummins options please!

adam7430

2000 2500 4x4 118k miles, ATS 47re auto/billet input, ext cab, short bed
Head has haisley studs and is o-ringed, hot rod injection pump, FASS 150 and 1/2" lines, DDP 250 injectors and larger cross tubes not sure on size, s366 charger said to be 66/73/.91, hx40 downpipe, full 5" straight pipe exhaust. Only 'programmer' is a Blue Chip Redline box. Traction bars, 33" tire and 3.54 gear ratio.

This truck has tons of power after it reaches around 2800 rpm. Before that though all I'm doin is bkacking out the entire county with unburnt fuel out the tail pipe. I'm tired of this in general and definitely tired of cops pulling me over and giving me "excessive smoke or fumes" tickets for $140 every time. I want it to have some decent drive ability for a change but also retain the power it has now if not gain some more. Its currently for sale and advertised everywhere I can think of. Just want to start remodeling my house and really don't need the truck rite now. ($17,000 obo). Ahyhow in the meantime id like to see its driveability increase a bit. My thots are to add another charger and make a twin setup. Problem is I have no clue as to turbo chargers or how they're classified etc. My question is, since I have a ton of fuel going to the pump I should t have to do anything to increase fuel volume or any sort of tuning correct? What turbo should I use for the second? Any sort Of piping kit that fits a s480 and a s366 thats decently easy to bolt on? I hope to be able to leave the s366 where its currently located and just add another and piping and be done. Hope someone out there knows enough to help a feller out. Thanks for any input!

Adding a turbo to the 66 won't help and will probably make it slightly worse. You need a smaller secondary first. 57/65 or 62/65 would be my suggestion, and a 480 is over kill on a VP truck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

62/65/12cm^2 over 75/88/1.32AR should clean that pig up and have it spooling before 2000rpm without the heavy hit of the primary constantly coming in to make it have better street manners. soon as you hit 2k though that primary should be hitting hard...low to mid throttle though you should be mostly on the 62. now if you want the primary to spool sooner you can go to a 1.10AR housing and have the primary come in quicker. It wont be as easy going on acceleration though. take your pick!

It has a lot of fuel with little air until a lot of rpm, with a big load with those tires.
Twin turbos, or properly called 'Compound turbos' will be a good bit of help but It is far too much fuel to run good as a dailly driver.
I bet it is hard to spool in a drag race.

Smaller injectors and a smaller turbo or the compound turbo set up.

I really appreciate forums like this one where everyone can share info and common experiences and definitely appreciate you all helpin a guy out. The general consensus has been so far that I've got too big of injectors even for a compound setup. I'd say I'll most likely be attempting the compound deal and see how she runs and then likely swap injectors for some a tad smaller in size. It is perty hard to take off on someone off the line. Takes a minute then ur in front of em. To spread that power out over more of the rpm range would be great instead of having it come in all at once and eat rear tires like no other. Jigabop I thank ya for the specifics and I'll be huntin for a couple of the sizes you mentioned. I have always been a Chevy big block kinda guy and do have a 67 c10 runnin a 520 stroker for play but still enjoy the power from the diesel. Thanx again u all.

^^^ what they said... n compounds will still smoke quite a bit with them injectors.. if you want a streetable truck keep it small.. 7x.010s and a 63/65/14 worked well for me

My injectors are larger than that (7x.014's) and I'm running a 57/65 over a 75/83/1.10. It spools excellent and my egt's never get over 1200° with my Tst on 1 while towing. Its still hazy and smoky right off the bottom but it cleans up good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I reckn if anyone has individual turbos in the sizes jigabop mentioned earlier if possibly a whole kit with piping or any of it at all I might need I'd be interested in them. I do have a set of 22"x14" XD Diesel Series chrome wheels with Nitto Trail Grapplers 325-50-22 at 50% tread I could swap for em. Kept them from previous dodge and current isn't lifted so I can't clear the width.

oops. put wrong turbine exducer size in the primary. 75/96/1.32AR

If you plan on reducing you injector size, you might want to look at a S300G (57/65) as a secondary instead of a 62/65. spool a bit faster and almost every diesel shop sells the more common version (57/65/14 AKA super B single) the less common version which will spool faster is still readily available (57/65/12)

I run the super B version and soon hope to be ditching my DDP150s for some of Weston's 6x.013s :drool1:

carl (turbolvr) and jacob from DAP sell budget twin kits... they both sell the turbos to use with the kits as well..

Last edited:
Redline box is not helping your street manors any either

redline box is pure fuel. what are you running for timing? ddp's dont help either.

Its the redline box by Blue Chip. I rarely even turn it on really. I have heard of dap but haven't looked into them yet. My friend did just order a killer b thru them tho. He's always talked highly of them. At first I think I'm gonna look into doing the twins setup and then see how she runs. If needed I'll fiddle with injectors and whatnots after that. Just trying to not invest much more than needed since I'd kinda like to find it a new owner and ditch my loan on it altogether. It was perty much like it is now when I got it. Really prefer to start fresh with a manual trans.

I had an 02 dmax with Allison auto and I wasn't too impressed at its sturdiness. Edge juice w/attitude did it in. Always liked a manual in my cummins trucks but honestly this one has impressed me. Got the tc lock up switch on the dash. If I could I'd change the shift points a tad but other than that seems to hold up n do a nice job.

Back