Help with Smarty Tuning

CR From Hell

Never Satisfied
I've been hunting an "around town" fuel mileage issue on my truck for about a month now, and believe I narrowed it down to the Smarty. I run a 6.7 short block with a 5.9 head and electronics. 50hp Exergys and stroker pump. S467.7/87/.90

With the Smarty on SW 4, 5, & 6(Revo tuning) the overhead console would read anywhere from 12-13.2 mpg around town. I would reset it and it would go back to those readings fairly quickly. (Hand calculating showed 13-14 mpg) So I took the Smarty off and with stock tuning the overhead would read 15-16 mpg, and to be honest I couldn't tell much if any power loss, drove and spooled very well.

I thought maybe there was something wrong in that particular program so I updated the Smarty to TNT and tried again. With the following settings the overhead still read low around 13.9-14.4 and the truck was sluggish down low.

SW5
Speedo: 250
Shift Limiter: Stock
High RPM: On
Timing: #2
Rail Pressure: Default
Wastegate: Off

The second tune I tried yielded better results, 14.3-16.0, felt much better through the powerband, and was much more responsive.

SW6
Speedo: 250
Shift Limiter: Stock
High RPM: On
Timing: #2
Rail Pressure: Default
Wastegate: Off

My question is, to a certain point, shouldn't having the Smarty on produce better MPG numbers than with stock tuning considering my set up? It's not apples to apples but I ran Smarty in my last truck, granted it had 100% overs and a 475/87, but that truck never dipped below 17 mpg. Feel like I'm missing something very obvious so please enlighten me.

Been so long since I fooled with anything smarty but as soon as you load any kind of tune FORGET about the overhead showing anything correct. No way they are correcting the actual math as to consumption. It will still show a generalization as more throttle more consumption but a comparison to stock will be useless.

Yea I figured the overhead was pretty much worthless, I was just surprised that even hand calculating it only showed 14ish mpg. So far I've seen about 350-370 miles/tank and the pump generally stops at 23-24 gal.

I can say one thing for sure, this truck doesn't like the odd number SW settings much at all.

I would highly recommend UDC, we see significant gains on highly modified trucks with good custom tuning vs box smarty tunes.

Lavon

Lavon,

Could you text or PM me on what it would take to switch over and how much? Thanks.

Drew

Back