Help! Your thought of engine build

Sarge1

Sarge
I need help deciding here on how to build engine. I am planning on 12 mm studs with cometic headgasket. I have a 160 horse p-pump. Thinking of 4k gov kit, #5 plate, 181 delivery valves. Maybe rackplug. For sticks dynomite diesel 90 hp injs or Ind Inj 100 hp dragon flys. How are the 435's new era diesel has, they comparable? For a turbo, i was thinking a super phatshaft 62 or HTB2 62. I am lookin for 500 - 600 hp. I am installing 60lbs springs and heavy duty retainers. Any suggestion for timing?? I need to figure this out so i can tell Dave Goerend what i am using so he can build my torque convertor. I want the combo to be streetable without smoken out the freeway. Any advise or suggestions is greatly appreciated. :thankyou2:

I really liked the 10 bladed stator I had form Dave but it was tight. Your gonna be pushing it to get 600 hp with a 62. I would go with the DDP#4's. Maybe a 64mm charger.

Thanks Zstroken, how much lag will i get with the 64mm , i was thinking going with the 12 exh hsg. how does the rest of the build sound??

Personally I would get a 100 plate or a zero plate. If you run the zero just adjust your AFC and you should be fine. A 4GSK is fine, or you could go with a 5GSK and be done. I assume your looking at a billet input shaft? I guess an option would be a 62/13SS

Zstroken, Yes billet input. Dave is building the trans as soon as i give him specs for the engine. stepping up to a 64 mm would i exp comp surge on the street? i see the turbo's i am lookin at are the 10 vane and not the 11, this will cut the surge?? what rpm would i be lookin at with the 64mm lighting? with the 181 delivery's and stage 4 dpp's, is it going to run overfuel'd or will it clear up??

I doubt you'll clean it up.. A customer of mine runs a 66/14/71 (quick diesel) with stage 3s and lc delivery valves.
The 64/14 should light at 1850-1900 rpm, they are nice on the street.

I personally liked the 15 blade modified converter Dave has for a 64 or 66 charger.. last I heard he called it the "Garrett" converter because I was the first to run one.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance on parts, I sell the whole line of parts for the 12 valves! www.puredieselpower.com

You might want to think hard about the cometic. Guys up north haven't been having very good luck with them. They do run some pretty serious rigs up there, some with water meth. But they're not that much more power than what you want to build.

PRattenbury said:
You might want to think hard about the cometic. Guys up north haven't been having very good luck with them. They do run some pretty serious rigs up there, some with water meth. But they're not that much more power than what you want to build.

I'm not bashing any vendor or manufacturer here, don't get me wrong. Cometic said the reason Dusty blew his was because his backpressures were way off.. Too much drive pressure vs boost.. something had to give.

Bobcat698 said:
I'm not bashing any vendor or manufacturer here, don't get me wrong. Cometic said the reason Dusty blew his was because his backpressures were way off.. Too much drive pressure vs boost.. something had to give.

I don't want to bash any vendors here either so don't get me wrong, however I feel it's important that people understand the Cometic MLS gasket is not a cure all it seems to have adopted. I believe it has its place and I appreciate them giving me one to try however it has failed for my application. Piers assembled my engine following the recommended steps from Cometic and it let go in pretty short order, with the stock 215 injectors I don't think my HP was much over 450 and boost levels at 60psi. Perhaps the Phuzion gasket would have held better however the regular MLS was the only option they had available at the time. If anyone seriously wants to lay down 500+ hp there is no substitute for o-rings IMHO. It cost me $2500 to deck the block and install new pistons for this trial so no one wanted to see this gasket hang with the o-rings more than me but......
As I said it will probably be a good option for people that wont be pushing the higher boost or hp levels but for the guys like the OP that are looking at 5-600+ hp well, it didn't work for me. Kudos to Cometic for jumping onboard and working on a solution for us oil burners.

Yeah, I apologize if I came across as bashing Cometic. I didn't mean it that way. The people I am familiar with that had the Cometic fail did have high cylinder pressures. Maybe the Phuzion will hold up better in applications like that. It was great of them to step up and provide their product for us, and I'm sure it'll save some folks from spending $$ on o-ringing.

Thanks guys, For my turbo choice - A bd super b special, cut deliver valves and 5 x .014 injectors. everyone that i have seen run the laser cuts, none of them cleared up much. Smoken and King have helped a great bit. Thanks guys , Im getting a new head reguardless to port, so i will ck and see where i can have it cut for rings. Would it be better to use a Marine head gasket?? Will I have to goto thinner washers with the injectors then??

Smokem said:
Use the Marine headgasket, 0.020" injector washers, and stay away from laser cut delivery vlaves if you are worried about cleaning up your amount of fuel.

X2
Brandon

Let me know if I can help with the new cylinder head, we have them on our site here

We offer O-Ringing but you may be able to get it done cheaper locally.

Bobcat698, I can get the head, springs, and headgasket through work, you do have good prices on the parts though. In near future i will be ordering a 4k gov kit from you and some various odds and ends

Smokem, I have good faith in your deliver valves and that is what i am going with, as well as inj's when i get a price. Your turbo choice is looking rather well also. I have experienced the laser cuts and dont like them one bit, you have a more tuned setup than a bunch of parts thrown at the engine.

Sarge I run Smokem's D-valves and like them a lot! If you like quick spool you might want to think twice about the Super B special or the HTb2 64 on a 12 valve. I was told by the Bd tech that I would not like the Super B special with a 12 valve at all,he said I would like the Super B much more.

How about the spool on that turbo? Again the guy from BD was adimate about how much I would not like it for an every day driver on a 12 valve. He said for the strip well thats a differant story. I almost bought it came very close in fact, my biggest worry was the way it would spool down low not the fuel so much...