hey diesl forums

I'm 17 and looking for a diesl I want a Chevy or GMC but want to know the problems that a 2002 dodge Cummins has.

I'll tell you what I know, from mine and other's experiences and general observations.

The VP is a terrible injection pump that's prone to failure, usually due to inadequate fuel supply, compounded by failure of the electronic controller mounted to it.
There is really no defending it, stock they are usually problematic, add to that the fact that many people add a chip and DON'T upgrade the pump and it can be a dismal failure.

The automatics are marginal, as stock, so are the torque convertors, Dodge never made a good stock automatic tranny, but the stock-based aftermarket ones are "okay".

The 5 speeds are a crapshoot, too.
They are problematic as stock and for serious horsepower they need the heavier input and mainshafts with the special gee-whiz locks on them to try to retain the wandering 5th gear nut.

The NV5600 6 speed is more durable, but still problematic, mostly due to the idiots at NV NEVER getting the fill levels right, so when the 6 speed gets a little low on their ridiculously under filled "FULL" level, and you're towing heavy, the rear output bearing cooks and seizes, then the mainshaft breaks.

The Dana 80 is a nice axle, except they tend to lose spider gears in both the locking and non-locking differentials equally.
Add to that that they are overloaded quite a lot, with few oil changes, and even the best parts fail with the persistent torque of the Cummins that's usually turned up.

The front ends are attrocious, 2wd, 2wd C&C and 4wd equally.
They are prone to violent shaking from loose and inadequate components termed as "death wobble".
Every one I ever had needed some form of expensive front end work to try to cure it.
Learn what a "track bar" is, or don't, you may know in short order.

The interior is nice and comfortable...but usually worn out and the dash top is nearly always cracked up.

Surprisingly, the electrical SEEMS to hold up fairly well, even with some of the serious redneck wiring I have seen.

But even the Fords and Chevies have had similar and worse problems.

Only a 2nd Gen Dodge with a moderate lift has "That Look" that makes me like them even with their failings.

And I'm a 1st Gen Dodge guy. :D

Mark.

I'll tell you what I know, from mine and other's experiences and general observations.

The VP is a terrible injection pump that's prone to failure, usually due to inadequate fuel supply, compounded by failure of the electronic controller mounted to it.
There is really no defending it, stock they are usually problematic, add to that the fact that many people add a chip and DON'T upgrade the pump and it can be a dismal failure.

The automatics are marginal, as stock, so are the torque convertors, Dodge never made a good stock automatic tranny, but the stock-based aftermarket ones are "okay".

The 5 speeds are a crapshoot, too.
They are problematic as stock and for serious horsepower they need the heavier input and mainshafts with the special gee-whiz locks on them to try to retain the wandering 5th gear nut.

The NV5600 6 speed is more durable, but still problematic, mostly due to the idiots at NV NEVER getting the fill levels right, so when the 6 speed gets a little low on their ridiculously under filled "FULL" level, and you're towing heavy, the rear output bearing cooks and seizes, then the mainshaft breaks.

The Dana 80 is a nice axle, except they tend to lose spider gears in both the locking and non-locking differentials equally.
Add to that that they are overloaded quite a lot, with few oil changes, and even the best parts fail with the persistent torque of the Cummins that's usually turned up.

The front ends are attrocious, 2wd, 2wd C&C and 4wd equally.
They are prone to violent shaking from loose and inadequate components termed as "death wobble".
Every one I ever had needed some form of expensive front end work to try to cure it.
Learn what a "track bar" is, or don't, you may know in short order.

The interior is nice and comfortable...but usually worn out and the dash top is nearly always cracked up.

Surprisingly, the electrical SEEMS to hold up fairly well, even with some of the serious redneck wiring I have seen.

But even the Fords and Chevies have had similar and worse problems.

Only a 2nd Gen Dodge with a moderate lift has "That Look" that makes me like them even with their failings.

And I'm a 1st Gen Dodge guy. :D

Mark.

Why are you ruining our fun?

thought i would dum-b it down a bit today....my brain hurts too much for spelling
CompD Mobile Device

thought i would dum-b it down a bit today....my brain hurts too much for spelling
CompD Mobile Device

Joking. I met your wife. Remember? I didn't respond to your PM because I was out of town and have not got back to Friday Yet. I read it though and disagree.

I'd say sorry to the OP for the derail but I'm not.

hmm...no worries, but i gotta go back reread what i wrote. LOL
CompD Mobile Device

Why are you ruining our fun?
Sorry, I didn't realize any fun was being had, though I did get a sense of some unreasoned hostility.
I figured folks were a bit rough on this newbie and I kinda' felt he might want the information for a practical reason.

Mark.

an inability to grasp the english language leads to hostilities

Well if shes a b!tch, no amount of hotness makes up for that, thats the only thing i can come up with :hehe:

Please please please never again put me in the same sentence as RD, he is sooooooo gay

You have quoted yourself in your own siggy.....:homo:

I love how we practically pick and choose our members LOL
It's awesome isn't it! LOL
Sorry, I didn't realize any fun was being had, though I did get a sense of some unreasoned hostility.
I figured folks were a bit rough on this newbie and I kinda' felt he might want the information for a practical reason.

Mark.

Perhaps you haven't noticed how we operate around here...

Perhaps you haven't noticed how we operate around here...

Nah, I've noticed.
You guys have your own brand of humor and ways of getting a point across.
Y'all are as hard on people as the elephant is that humps the cat. :)

Mark.

Nah, I've noticed.
You guys have your own brand of humor and ways of getting a point across.
Y'all are as hard on people as the elephant is that humps the cat. :)

Mark.

It's our way of weeding out the weak and stupid. They don't belong here.

Those who survive the hazing are better members for it...

Back