Hey quitters!!

powerstroke74

if you guys could go back in time would you rather have built up the powerstroke or do you think you made the right decision putting a cummins in it....

also would you rather be known for having a good running powerstroke or for having a good running fummins?

thanks

Last edited:
I'll let you know!

On the PSD list.I have 2 windowed blocks (forged rods) and blew 4 head gaskets.I did a real build up on a 7.3,never ran it (long story),and had 11k in it.I was shotting for a little over 600hp on #2.For that money I could have a really bad 5.9 12v.I my case I think this will be my best choose.

Attachments

• DSC00804.JPG
    DSC00804.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 63
ive priced it all out for parts alone, a 6-700hp 7.3 is well over 10gs while doing a 12valve swap with building the motor to easally 700hp can be done for around 10gs or less depending on pump work and that is including everything minus the cost of the motor its self...you know ive been debating it also Thomas and it makes it even harder to decide now that my truck has forged rods and head work..I really wish I would of had the 12 valve you know of ready to go when my truck blew....its really a toss up and a matter of prefrence

loving my fummins, wish powerstrokes were stonger and more reliable and i woulda stayd with them

if i could have gone back and i know what i know now i would have bought an OBS with a blown motor or a gasser or high mileage 7.3 and thrown a 12v in it. id be easily over 600hp right now with a good build and be happy. damn 6.0.

Garrett

ive priced it all out for parts alone, a 6-700hp 7.3 is well over 10gs while doing a 12valve swap with building the motor to easally 700hp can be done for around 10gs or less depending on pump work and that is including everything minus the cost of the motor its self...you know ive been debating it also Thomas and it makes it even harder to decide now that my truck has forged rods and head work..I really wish I would of had the 12 valve you know of ready to go when my truck blew....its really a toss up and a matter of prefrence

Price is relevant to your ability. I would bet I don't have $7500 in mine including the purchase of the engine. That includes all new p/s pump, alternator, starter and a/c compressor. I pulled the head and had it cleaned up and o-ringed. Had to replace one piston, new cam, injectors and the list goes on.

For the build I wanted on the 7.3 it was going to be over $15k. I wish it was cheaper to build a PS, I would have done it. I liked the drivability of the PS but it's apples to oranges, electronic to mechanical. I'm not sorry I did it and would do it again.

Price is relevant to your ability. I would bet I don't have $7500 in mine including the purchase of the engine. That includes all new p/s pump, alternator, starter and a/c compressor. I pulled the head and had it cleaned up and o-ringed. Had to replace one piston, new cam, injectors and the list goes on.

For the build I wanted on the 7.3 it was going to be over $15k. I wish it was cheaper to build a PS, I would have done it. I liked the drivability of the PS but it's apples to oranges, electronic to mechanical. I'm not sorry I did it and would do it again.

I remember Kevin giving a hard time when I switched, its all about the $$ I dont see spending twice as much to have the same hp just to be brand loyal, there is nothing wrong with a cummins in a ford. For that matter I was raised a ford guy not a powerstroke guy, so I just swapped the simplier less expensive easier to make power motor in my ford. I love it!

I remember Kevin giving a hard time when I switched, its all about the $$ I dont see spending twice as much to have the same hp just to be brand loyal, there is nothing wrong with a cummins in a ford. For that matter I was raised a ford guy not a powerstroke guy, so I just swapped the simplier less expensive easier to make power motor in my ford. I love it!

:hehe: I gave a lot of people a hard time for going to the dark side. Your right on with the cost vs the end result.

I HAD a built powerstroke....there is no comparison to what I have now.

its just like buying a new truck going from a stroke to a cummins everything is so different

exactly! it says ford on my arm, not powerstroke!

Garrett

x2!!!:Cheer:

I've got $3,500 into mine and still have a turbo, trans, chip, dodge donor d250, and 6.0 accessories to sell off of my truck.

Hopefully I can sell some to buy some more fun parts for my truck.

The figure I gave didn't reflect the money I got back from selling my PS parts.

When I stated 11k build on my old PSD.That is all I got out of the parts after them being only installed,not used(ran),in the engine.I was right there with you Kevin,15k in a built 7.3.

It sucks when I had to pay $3400 for a set of DDP 530's w/ .085 nozzles and only spend 1K for DDP Comp 12v injectors.Oh yeah.I am happy to be building a Cummins:rockwoot:

I wouldnt call it going to the dark side. It's International and Cummins, not Ford and Dodge. Ford or Dodge didnt build either motor so i dont care which one is in my truck. Besides i just tell them i took a 5.9 out of an F650. If you really want to be brand loyal you better buy a V10 that is built by Ford.
If your planning on over 500hp just do the cummins. Driveability is very close to a powerstroke IMO. Reliabilty is the main factor for me...there are not to many reliable 600-700hp powerstrokes out there, at least not when compaired to cummins. There is 20,000 miles on mine and it sees 60lbs boost at least 5 days a week(everyone always tells me im hard on equipment, because usually all my **** breaks). I also can pull a 15,000 pound trailer and keep it in overdrive even down at 1600rpms going up a moderate hill and EGTs remain manageable. You cant find that low end torque from a powerstoke.
Although i do agree it would be cooler to have a 600hp powerstroke than cummins just because not very many guys have one and it really pisses off the cummins and Dmax guys when you beat them with what they try to call a powerjoke. I say if money is not a problem then build the powerstroke.

Although i do agree it would be cooler to have a 600hp powerstroke than cummins just because not very many guys have one and it really pisses off the cummins and Dmax guys when you beat them with what they try to call a powerjoke.

Perfect! Thats me. Esp. around where i live.