hi gear bad idea

bad 2.6 puller

thinking of pullen in hi nv4500 2gear 355 gears with a dhd 241 and 33 inch tires ok idea or bad and locker in front one piece rear drive shaft just wont to try to no before i do a ton of damage :badidea:

Last edited:
Your going to break something more than likely on the hi side of the tcase. Depending on how big of a turbo your running you will have to be able to spin A LOT of RPM to stay on top of it especially with 33's. That was my setup I ran the entire time I used to sled pull nv4500, 3.55's, DHD, & 33's. I always ran 3rd gear low range and my truck always spun out. I tried 2nd Hi once..I went 10 ft farther than my original 3rd low run that night but I had to dump the clutch to keep the RPM's up coming out of the hole and blew a HG mid track. Best thing you can do is stay on the low range side of things and start saving for 4.88 gears because your final drive in 3rd low is not fast enough to be competitive at bigger events.

thanks it helps i just hear a lot of bs from people some say 488 n some 513 n even 456 i just dont wont to spend a ton and the truck does worse thank you

i ran 4.10's 2nd hi all this year, just swapped to 4.88's before my luck ran out in second gear.

thanks it helps i just hear a lot of bs from people some say 488 n some 513 n even 456 i just dont wont to spend a ton and the truck does worse thank you

I saw it described this way one time and it made perfect sense so hopefully it will to you also.

4.88's = 33's 5.13's = 35's I wouldn't even consider 4.56 front/4.63 rear.

You will do nothing but GAIN from a gear swap. I only got ONE pass down the track on my change to locked front & rear and 4.88's before my motor said it was rebuild time. In that ONE pass my truck was a completely different monster! With the deeper gears you can run 4th gear low range and run faster down the track and take some stress off the other parts of the driveline.

i run 4.88's and 33 bfg at's in 4th gear 4 low in the nv4500.

:thankyou2::rockwoot:

well i think i no what i am doing this winter gears any one thanks for the info it will not go to waste

not to take away from the main subject but what gears should you run with 33's and a nv5600?

Its just my personal opinion, but if your going to all the trouble and expense of swapping gears purposely for competition sled pulling I don't see the sense in jumping up to a 4.56/4.63. The 4.88 ratio will allow you to keep your RPM's up and maintain them easier and inturn your wheel speed as well. Kinda like why go to a HX40 when you can go to a 62mm 64mm turbo if your looking to make a decent amount of power. ;)

not to take away from the main subject but what gears should you run with 33's and a nv5600?

If you have 3.55's you don't have to touch a thing. If I remember correctly.

NV4500 4th gear low range 4.88's = 13.23 final drive
NV5600 4th gear low range 3.55's = 13.46 final drive

I know most 6spd guys pull 4th low anyways but I don't know what the final drive is for 4.10 gears. Almost all the sled's in my area are running sleds so you wanted around a 13 final drive so you had the speed to get down the track before the weight hit.

thanks aging and it sounds like you really no a thing or two

I know some....there are other guys on this site who know much much more than me.

I had fun for several years and continued to learn every year I competed. When I first started truck pulling in 2003 we drove our trucks to the pulls put in suspension blocks, pulled, and if nothing broke pulled our blocks out and drove home.

The sport has come a long ways over the years....to the point of guys running 60,000 & 80,000 competition engines in the 2.6 classes in Ky I used to pull my truck in. I gracefully bowed out as I cannot afford to run with those guys. So I will now enjoy my truck once again EVERY day and not wrench all week to enjoy it for 30 seconds. :rockwoot:

Last edited:
If you give me the DHD low and Hi range reductions, I have an excel sheet set up for gearing, I can give you a comparison of a couple different scenarios that you are considering.

There is already a spreadsheet on here with everything you need, you just have to imput a few things for your particular truck, its a sticky, see link.

Spreadsheet

Good point, I had created one before I had found that one originally. Still have to use mine since I have the NP205 transfercase which has a different LO range.