High cruising egt's

sigmon03

Did some searching and came up empty handed. The last couple of weeks my cruising EGT's have gone up 150-200F and accelerating EGT's have gone up about 300F. No codes or CEL, truck runs smooth. Boost is a little higher than normal, it's almost like there is an additional load on the truck, but nothing is dragging. Checked the brakes, fan clutch, checked valves. I had a DiPricol RP gauge years ago but it shorted out so it's disconnected. Truck is a 2003 3500 6 speed all stock except for intake, exhaust, smarty, and FASS that was put on about 100k ago. Injectors are stock and have about 100k on them also. Original CP3. Truck is at 209,000 now. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Warmer weather?

A Ultragauge or something similar that reads intake temps, tps position, engine load, oil pressure, rail pressure ( depending on the year) is very helpful to diagnosis issues.

Gauge freaking out maybe.

It's not the weather hasn't really changed lately, and yes about 1# more boost cruising along with the high EGT. Like I said it seems like there is an additional load on the engine but I can't figure out where. Seems a little lazy on the bottom and maybe a tad smokier. Almost like a 12v that slipped timing. I haven't changed the tune on it (smarty level 5) in like 7 years. I'm stumped. CP3 or injectors maybe? No miss or anything but after driving it for the lat 10 years, something is off and I want to catch it before there is a major problem.

Thanks

I do have some blowby out of the oil filler cap but the oil doesn't turn completely black between oil changes and it uses maybe 1.5-2 qts between changes. All of the inter cooler boots look good and clamps are tight. What would cause this associated with the blow by? Is it just time for rings?

Thanks

I do have some blowby out of the oil filler cap but the oil doesn't turn completely black between oil changes and it uses maybe 1.5-2 qts between changes. All of the inter cooler boots look good and clamps are tight. What would cause this associated with the blow by? Is it just time for rings?

Thanks

You need to pressurize the system to be sure! I found a massive leak that I didn't hear or see recently! You may have a broken ring or rings. Unless you have a main seal blown that's a lot of oil going bye bye!

That's what I was afraid of. No leaks to speak of, a drop here and there but nothing that falls in the driveway. Will a compression test find a cracked ring for sure or is it possible to still pass the test if it is only one ring?

my oil turns black as soon as i start it up, as im sure everyone else's does.

did you ever do a boost leak test with an air compressor?

if its 2 quarts low its not an injector leaking. your not making oil.

you must have fuel to make boost and at 100k its going to be time for sticks sooner or later. get that RP gauge fixed and see what RP hold @ WOT

The oil consumption hasn't changed. I pulled the injectors to get the tested so we will see where that leads. There is a pretty reputable shop locally that won't break the bank to test them. One thing I thought was odd though, pulling the injectors out 5 of them had fuel in the lines/connector tubes and one was completely drained? Would that indicate one may be leaking or just coincidence?

Thanks

So the injectors came back all of them were good to go no issues. A friend had a new FCA so swapped that just to see, no change. Did a little more driving with the injectors back in it and have a little more info for you guys. Accelerating normally and cruising EGT's are higher than they were by about 150-200F accelerating and 100-150F cruising. The weird partto me is that if you lay into it the peak EGT's stay the same as they have always been??? Any thoughts or am I just chasing a ghost and should run it til something breaks that I can find lol.

One other thing this happened suddenly not progressively. One day it ran normal, the next I fired it up and these issues started.

Thanks,

Scott

Could possibly be as simple as bad egt probe. Also, are you running your a/c? I would think the added stress of the compressor cycling and the engine fan kicking on and off could cause egts to come up a bit.

AC on for me raises air temp at the intake plate 5-10 degrees depending on speed (AC off is 10 degrees above ambient temp) Can't recall egts but if I'm using the AC its 90 plus outside so egts are warmer. Not 150-200 degrees maybe 50 and possibly 100 if heat soaked in town.

Last edited:
I had thought about the probe being bad but I have also seen a drop in mileage. Not a huge drop but about 2 mpg so I figured that the probe was probably correct. I will check the intercooler I had forgotten about that. Will the 03 throw a code if the map sensor goes bad? Also a while back I was getting a grid heater code but I haven't gotten it in probably 6 months any chance that has anything to do with it?

Thanks again!!

Scott

Back