high egt

skilletky

i love lamp
I towed today for the 1st time with my 7x.014 SAC injectors and compounds (super b special over a box 475 (75/96/1.32). With stock ecm and no other boxes on, I was having egt issues with just the trailer. The trailer weight by itself was 6500 according to my buddy. Once I got the truck loaded on the trailer and on the highway, I found myself in 4th gear a lot just to keep egt's down. 01 2wd 5 speed with 3.55 gear. Is that about normal, or do I got some parts changing to do? Oh yeah, pulling a loaded pintle hitch trailer up and down the high way for 5 hours sucks.

I was running 70 on flat ground with the trailer empty, hit a hill and it hit 1275 fast loosing speed, if I stayed on the skinny, it would climb higher. Running higher rpm's in 5th (85+ mph) didn't have that much of a problem. But running that fast constantly with a trailer worries me.

i find myself running faster with a load for that exact reason.higher RPM= more flow thru the motor.

what is your wastegate setup?

How much boost at cruising rpm? What rpm were you turning when having problems?

Got spring gate and spacer plate on the 64 and that's it. If the trailer brakes weren't giving me issues, I would have been running about 80 or 85, even though I don't like to.

Cruise boost was about 10. Anything under 2300 rpm's was giving me issues on hills.

Cruise boost was about 10. Anything under 2300 rpm's was giving me issues on hills.

I would look into the gate on the 64 opening too soon. By 2300 rpm that 64 should be full tilt. Sounds like the gate needs tightened up IMO

I thought that too, so I tightened up the spring when I stopped off for fuel. No Noticeable Difference. No exhaust leaks or boost leaks. But I did just find that the 64 is wore out and has quite a bit of play. Just ordered a super b to replace it.

Smaller turbine housing on your 475 to spool it up quicker?

I've pondered that also. I'm gonna see how the super b does first. Then go from there. I wanna put a cam in it, but I got a 53 block that I'm waiting on to crack. When that happens, I'm gonna build another engine and put a cam in then. Truck has 266K on it now.

Best thing to ever happen to my '02 for towing was a cam from Hamilton. I'm betting it would cool ya down a bit and help your spool as well.

Best thing to ever happen to my '02 for towing was a cam from Hamilton. I'm betting it would cool ya down a bit and help your spool as well.

What cam did you go with? My piston protrusion is pretty high, within spec, but high, and the head was decked .007 iirc. I'm worried that I'm gonna have clearance issues with a cam.

Tried a 178/208 and end up with a 181/208 or something like that. Don't remember for sure now. Call Zach and ask him. He'll know what he sent me. He may also know that you need something different too. As far as towing heavy trailer....I wish I would have done a cam from the day I bought my 2nd gen. $.02 Night and day with my setup. I just had a Edge J w/Att, DDP 100 hp sticks, II 62/65/71, blah blah blah. 450@972tq.

I talked to him a few months back, but can't remember what all he told me. Pretty sure he recommended recessing the valves or cutting pistons for the 188/210. I don't tow heavy that much, but when I do, I don't want issues. It's my DD and play toy.

Put the super b on this afternoon. Already like it a lot better. Feels like it has the same power in upper rpm's, and has a lot more low end grunt. Egt's are lower cruising around. May hook to our generator (13K lbs) tomorrow just to see how the egt's are pulling a load. The 64 wasn't as wore out as I thought, so it is going back in the 1stgen till my buddy gets his pulling truck back in order. Really thinking of putting a cam in it anyway.