High idle

BCSCUMMINS

Fomer 35er
Truck idles at 1000 rpm’s when I come off of cruse control. I can turn the truck off and restart it and all is back to normal. It started about a month ago, but was not constant. Now it is every time I come off of cruse. The truck will never do this if the cruse is not used. Could this be a APPS problem?

It may be. Try restetting the APPS

Hmmmmm, I've got the same exact issue. I thought it was the HRVP. I called and talked to Brett at II and he didn't know other than pull it off and send it in and we'll bench test it. Seems it only happens when it gets hot on road trips for an hour or 2 and yes, with the cruise control on. I resently reset the APPS but that was prior to the issue occurring. My idle ends up being 1100-1200 and the idle is erratic to go along.

Wonder if the APPS is just going bad. Every now and then I get an issue of the cruise control just dropping the set. After I set it again, it is fine.

BTW, Brett thought it was ECM related. He said I should try running my Smarty on stock. I haven't had a road trip in a while to test it though so I haven't turned my Smarty back yet. Do you run a Smarty? I don't recall seeing it in your signature.

Hey justin, you ever get this figured out? Try checking the voltage on the APPS like we did that one night you and I played with the voltage.

Any update on this? I thought mine may have some correlation with cruise control after you mentioned it, but it seems to do it with or without. Seems more heat related than anything. The hotter it has gotten, the more it has done it.

I see now in your sig that you do have a Smarty. Try removing it and see what happens. I haven't had a chance yet, but I will, I just don't drive it everyday. I'll update if I get a chance first and it fixes it.

My fear is that it IS vp44 related. It just isn't very old....last August or September it was new. Probably has well under 10,000 miles on it. Maybe it's just the first signs of the HRVP showing the rough idle. It has always idled smooth as silk until it got hot this summer....besides when I've heard that happening to others with the HRVP it has been cold.

Last edited:
Well As you know Matt, I've had some rough idling recently too. It only happens when its hot. Kind of sounds like some of the lopey hrvp pump trucks I've heard so I'm not really concered. What I had described as a lope in the past is more like a lug shutter. Bob had sent me some software to try to deal with the "lope" I was experiencing. While the software did nothing for my lug shudder, I will retest it this weekind to see how it works with the choppy idle I'm seeing when hot.

FWIW I wish my truck did idle at 1000 so I wouldn't have to deal with lug shudder :1tooth:

Ph4tty said:
Well As you know Matt, I've had some rough idling recently too. It only happens when its hot. Kind of sounds like some of the lopey hrvp pump trucks I've heard so I'm not really concered. What I had described as a lope in the past is more like a lug shutter. Bob had sent me some software to try to deal with the "lope" I was experiencing. While the software did nothing for my lug shudder, I will retest it this weekind to see how it works with the choppy idle I'm seeing when hot.

FWIW I wish my truck did idle at 1000 so I wouldn't have to deal with lug shudder :1tooth:

David, I guess the fuel pressure regulator had no effect did it? I would think that would just help the VP live longer.

What mine does is when coming off the interstate, the idle stays at about 1200 and it also is choppy. Used to be if you cut it off to fuel the tanks or whatever it would return to a smooth low idle. Now the idle speed will return to normal but still sounds slightly choppy. The rpm gauge is still dead still, unlike when the HO VP44 was about to die, the needle would jump around a little.

I'll try to remove the Smarty programming and see if that helps next time I drive it. It'll be interesting to see if your new program that Bob sent will help. Please keep us posted on that.

Last edited:
Tiger Rag said:
David, I guess the fuel pressure regulator had no effect did it? I would think that would just help the VP live longer.

None and I agree.

Tiger and Ph4tty...I too have had some lopey idles when the truck gets real hot with these 90*+ days. It sounds like when I turn my TST comp all the way up and it starts idling like a big cam, and at first I thought something was wrong with the motor, but it goes away when the temps go down, or the truck cools down.

Must be a common HRVP thing.

getblown5.9 said:
Tiger and Ph4tty...I too have had some lopey idles when the truck gets real hot with these 90*+ days. It sounds like when I turn my TST comp all the way up and it starts idling like a big cam, and at first I thought something was wrong with the motor, but it goes away when the temps go down, or the truck cools down.

Must be a common HRVP thing.

Ok TJ, this makes me feel better then if I'm not the only one. Maybe just the nature of the HRVP. Makes me wonder why it didn't show itself last summer....I think I put it in in July or August last year.

Justin is still on his factory HO pump and iirc it should have over 200k miles on it.

The software had no positive effect on idle, but some did make it worse.