High Performance Head Bolts?

MacbooknMyTruck

Waiting and Wanting
I read in this article (2005 Ford F350 Power Stroke Horsepower &Torque - Diesel Performance - Four Wheeler Magazine
) that i needed to get new high performance head bolts for my 03 6.0 if I have any mods running over 100 hp. I'm going to be rnning a SCT SF3 (150 hp gain), a 4" MBRP exhaust (15 hp gain), and an AEM Brute Force Intake (20 hp gain). Do I really need to get upgraded head bolts? I'm new to the diesel world and I can't afford to have a high dollar problem like a head gasket failure. Can anyone help? I will only run the 150 hp gain maybe 5 times a month, but I'll run the economy 50 hp gain everyday.

Most of us recommend head studs for stock trucks up to heavily modified trucks. Our head bolts just plain suck. Now that being said, I drove 80k and didn't have a problem. Most of that time, I was running a programmer and exhaust.

Depending on where you live, you may also, want to consider an egr delete kit.

How hard are they to install and how much do they run? I live in sweet home ALABAMA! So will I have to get an EGR delete kit? I would prefer nor because I'm trying to save $$$. But anyways, what is an EGR delete kit? What does that do and how hard are they to install and how much will that run me? And if I get an EGR delete kit, will I still have to get upgraded head bolts?

Last edited:
And remember, my Powerstroke is a 2003. Seems like the 03's have a totally different engine setup than any other 6.0l.

03's have some differences between the other 6.0's but they are still a 6.0.

They are a pain in the butt to install. Unless you are comfortable working on your engine, I would pay someone to do it.

As far as the EGR, do some searching on here. You will find a lot of independent reviews on different people's delete kits. Adam from First Coast Diesel Performance makes a nice one, but his is a little more in-depth than some of the lesser priced one. Just depends on what you want to do, but there are lots of threads talking about this topic.

yeah- seems like if you say them in the same sentance, you mysteriously are missing money from your pocket. these trucks are not wallet friendly.

Yes head studs are always recomended, but do you really need them at this point? No.

The egr delete kit gets rid of your factory emissions equipment, and is against the law unless used on race only applacations. Im not say dont do it, but you should know.

And good luck going back to the 50hp after running the 150hp setting.

I got $3500 from my insurance after my R6 was stolen. I thought "ill put a bit of that into my truck" 2 weeks later it's all gone. It goes quick when the mod bug bites.

Adding up those hp numbers isn't even close. You won't see a 150 hp. gain with all three done. BUt yes you need headstuds before you run a "50 hp." tune. 80-100k in mileage and the gaskets are close to gone stock. A lucky few don't have issues but the odds are not in your favor....

I would run the SCt intake and exhaust, and if you blow your HG's, then let them put the studs in under your 200K warranty. If you have a mod freindly dealer you usually don't have a problem. I ran 80K miles in my 03 with my foot up its ass and some nitrous without studs, and it never puked. I have them now, but I have a few other mods now. LOL

I think he meant to seperate with commas and correct puntuation. And you would think this is the guy who pays attention to details, or we would all hope.

LMAO, yes, I get sloppy when replying on my Iphone. Sorry. Hows it goin Travis?

I really like the look of your truck, if I had an ext cab, it would be looking like yours.

My truck is blushing, but thanks. I wished it was clean or at least cleaner when you seen it.

Back