hole

kmuncc

Coon Hunter
what is the best way to plug a 1/4 in. whole in a up pipe from a clamp style thermocouple? weld it or is there any thing wrong with tapping the whole and putting some sort of threaded plug?

would it be possible to weld it with a little 110 wire welder?

sure...take your time ,...go slow,...weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind

how much trouble is it to take out and what gaskets will I need to replace if any? this is alot of trouble to move a thermocouple 2 to 3 inches!

I used a 1/8 npt pipe plug and it worked fine. Still have it in my truck just in case. It was like .50 cents from napa.

I believe I may just go with Darsey715 and get a small plug alot less work and if I have to remove the Pipe in the future I can weld it then.

I'm lazy....get a 5/8-3/4" wide hose clamp (worm drive type) and clamp it around the hole....problem solved in 5 minutes for about 3 bucks.

Remember anything you put in the hole you don't want to end up coming out. Why not just leave the TC in there and get another one for you new location. You could have two readings in your cab...

well this is why I posted this the hose clamp is the easiest/efficient fix yet.

One other thing, if you do ever decide to weld it, use a solid blank larger than the hole so you can weld all the way around it on the outside of the pipe. Grind, weld more so you assure no air leaks. That way no chance of anything ever going into the hole (like a weld BB). GOOD LUCK

Back