HOLSET HE431VE Rebuild kit

LReiff

The Antistock
I am in desperate need of a rebuild kit for a Holset HE431VE charger. Does anyone know where I can get one or have a kit number?

Just happened along here, but I can't help on that one.
Holset says no. I can't even get the cartridge.

Thanks for the reply! I found individual parts to fix this charger but I do wish they had a kit.

Where did you find the parts to fix one of these turbos?

I was thinking of checking into HX40/HY40 parts to see if they would fit. The Bearing and oils seals would be the parts I'm in need of.

Just happened along here, but I can't help on that one.
Holset says no. I can't even get the cartridge.

Yeah, holset says we are too stupid to fix a VGT turbo, so they keep the part numbers a secret. Except for when they stamp them on the thrust bearing.

Took mine apart, Thrust Bearing 3592966. Which matches the one for a HY40V. Now I just have to find a Melett dealer.

ironically, you are talking to one! How does your thrust bearing look-does the thrust collar fit pretty loosely into the bearing? These things have a tendency to overspeed like crazy and beat the daylights out of the thrust parts AND bend the shaft in some cases.

Where are you guys getting these 431ve turbos, anyway? That's like a $2500 turbo, remanufactured!

Yeah, it has .020" play and an oil leak on the turbine side. Shaft seems straight and I could only see a little wear on the shaft, turbine side. Probably from coked oil.

ebay, for around $100.

Yeah, it has .020" play and an oil leak on the turbine side. Shaft seems straight and I could only see a little wear on the shaft, turbine side. Probably from coked oil.

ebay, for around $100.

Well, the rule of thumb for bigger turbos is this: the more shaft play you can feel, the more thrust bearing wear there is inside. It's not like small turbos where you can feel the shaft play and figure out how worn out the thing is. unless a turbo like this is totally gone, you will only feel a little wiggle.

The turbo probably blew through the thrust parts and then got into the j bearings. If you had coked oil, the bearings would be black. I bet they are not. You probably have thrust wear from surge, which is super bad on these turbos. Your piston groove in your bearing housing might be worn.....

If you have or had surge, you may have vgt issues and stress cracks in the turbine shaft. Hopefully you don't have the notched turbine shaft? That's another weak spot where the turbo starts to fail from surge. The turbos surge and surge and surge and surge, and they finally come apart, either at the quill or at the oil channel on the shaft.

Lay your thrust bearing down on a flat steel surface. Is the bearing deflected? I mean is it perfectly flat?

I don't want to be a party pooper-you probably have a good cheap performance turbo-you just need to figure out of your vgt system is boogered and fix it if it is. If you just clean it, it will still be boogered and your turbo will go boom....

ironically, you are talking to one! How does your thrust bearing look-does the thrust collar fit pretty loosely into the bearing? These things have a tendency to overspeed like crazy and beat the daylights out of the thrust parts AND bend the shaft in some cases.

Where are you guys getting these 431ve turbos, anyway? That's like a $2500 turbo, remanufactured!

^:bs: ^ Only spoken by someone new to the diesel sport!!! :shake:

^:bs: ^ Only spoken by someone new to the diesel sport!!! :shake:

Not sure what that means. In on road applications,The VGT system sticks in these things, and depending on the application, the turbo either explodes because of surge, or the turbo stops making power and the EGTs go up too high and kill the turbo in the mountains. Either way, the thrust parts take a beating.

What's your analysis, then, if the turbo blows oil past the piston groove, the thrust bearing looks like it had enough oil, and the bearings are not coked? The thrust parts are probably worn out because of surge, because that is what happens when the turbo surges because of a bad VGT system. When you have surge, you can see it in the thrust bearings. When you see surge, you have stall, and that cracks turbine shafts.

If I were making this up, I wouldn't have a meeting about the issue in a few hours. We have turbos that last 15,000 miles because of this problem, and they are he431v turbos. The maximum life has been 80,000 miles (2 years) for this application because of soot, surge, and stall. The turbine shafts are coming apart....

I bought a HE431VGT with a leaking turbine seal, it's been on a truck for over 4 years and has seen 70lbs of boost and is still running fine! :lolly:

Running these turbos on a 8.9L engine is far from practical!

I bought a HE431VGT with a leaking turbine seal, it's been on a truck for over 4 years and has seen 70lbs of boost and is still running fine! :lolly:

Running these turbos on a 8.9L engine is far from practical!

good for you! How many hours do you have on the turbo? I don't see you daily driving something with 70lbs of boost.

When i go to my meeting, I'll make sure and mention you running 70 lbs of boost and having no problems.

"Well, we lost a turbo at 56,000 miles, put another one on, and the shaft snapped again after 15,000 miles!"

"Well, I met a guy who says he bought one on ebay and has no problems with it!"

"Oh, he has a concrete truck?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"He sounds like a really cool person. I wonder what he is doing so well that we can't seem to get right?"

"I know! His one turbo does represent a good sample of all of the turbos in production. If he doesn't have a problem, I don't understand why your 30 trucks have turbos that explode after 80,000 miles are having such problems."

"Right. I think that because this guy isn't having problems, we shouldn't replace every turbine shaft on every one of our trucks because they have stress cracks. We should get his turbo and clone it, or at least buy his truck and turn it into a concrete hauler."

'06 Kenworth tandem dump truck with an ISM, ate one 2 weeks ago. The thing surged, barked, then broke the shaft. It at least made it to 160,000mi Which I feel is premature, but your saying I got basically double the life of average. Got a new one at Peterbilt it was $3400, returned it, and got a reman from elsewhere. My driver is claiming it's doing it again, but I can't replicate. Would driving around with the exhaust brake on, letting out of the throttle to far between shifts, cause it to be confused and the vgt will not respond quick enough?

'06 Kenworth tandem dump truck with an ISM, ate one 2 weeks ago. The thing surged, barked, then broke the shaft. It at least made it to 160,000mi Which I feel is premature, but your saying I got basically double the life of average. Got a new one at Peterbilt it was $3400, returned it, and got a reman from elsewhere. My driver is claiming it's doing it again, but I can't replicate. Would driving around with the exhaust brake on, letting out of the throttle to far between shifts, cause it to be confused and the vgt will not respond quick enough?

You said the magic word, ISM motor. Just met with a company today that has 100+ ISM trucks with this problem. Some turbos manage to ruin the thrust parts enough so they don't make boost, some aren't so lucky and they come apart.

When is the turbo surging? Acceleration or deceleration? There may be some surge that you cannot take out because of the VGT system-this surge will wear the turbo, but it won't kill it in 15,000 miles like a stuck VGT system will.

Just put a S400sx3 or sx4 on that M11...if you want it to come alive :evil:

Just put a S400sx3 or sx4 on that M11...if you want it to come alive :evil:

That would be nice if they could put ANYTHING else on there, because anything else would work every time and would make boost every time. These VGT turbos are awesome on non-EGR engines, but the m11 engine just kills these turbos. You can't even get a turbo for a m11 engine anymore around here because the demand is too high-everyone who has ten trucks needs at least three backup turbos....

Back