hooking up a tac on 96 12 valve??

duramaxcummins

Chevy Cummins
anyone know how to hook up a electric tac to a 96 12 valve? i got a 12 valve engine in my 01 chevy truck, im using the dodge pcm and everything from a 96. got almost everythign hooked up but cant get a tac to work. the wire im finding that you should be able to use is a gray with blue tracer but its dead. i tried going off the crank sensor but cant get nothing there either. any ideas? i was almost wonderin if the crank sensor is a p.o.s. and need a new one but im puzzled. anyone got any input let me know

At first check your crank sensor 5v power supply and ground, then sensor output

okay thanks, im gunna check that later tonight here. i got lots of wiring to get done yet. the hard parts gunna be wiring it to work on the stock duramax gauge cluster!

just curious.. why replace a duramax with a 12v?i love 12's but,duramax's are great too..beter than a p.s. imo.

just curious.. why replace a duramax with a 12v?i love 12's but,duramax's are great too..beter than a p.s. imo.

i used efi on my duramax, had it built up twice, pulled it, raced it, got good power out of it and yes i loved it, but i broke two cranks in the dang thing so i called it quits with the lb7. yeh i liked them too and miss the quick tune electronically, but i'll forfit that for the higher hp #'s and cheaper cost. i like challenges and this was a challenge. i learned the efi tuning by myself and that got old so figured id try this out. im new to it but i will figure it all out.

high horsepower,cheap cost,and challenge.. i love them all,good luck with it!!!

yes sir! thanks, i'll put up some pics of the truck on here, its pretty amazing lookin! i drove it around up and down on the road just the other day to see what it would act like and it gets a little hotter than what i wanted. i got 3 12 inch fans pushin air but i can change it later. i'll post pics of my work here later

chevy radiator or dodge? my trucks never get over 160 and i only hear the fan clutch kick in when towing

Did the duramax get its tach signal from the alternator? I know the 6.5 did, thats how I plan on getting my tach to work just put my alternator on the 12v, the rest of gauges, I plan on using fittings and adapters to just use my sensors from the 6.5 to the cummins. Maybe that route will work for you.

Did the duramax get its tach signal from the alternator? I know the 6.5 did, thats how I plan on getting my tach to work just put my alternator on the 12v, the rest of gauges, I plan on using fittings and adapters to just use my sensors from the 6.5 to the cummins. Maybe that route will work for you.

no the alternator has to have signal goin through the pcm. the cummins alternator doesnt have an external regulator for it so its got to have a signal to the pcm and so on. i used the single wire oil pressure sensor off my 6.6 and hooked it up, that all worked, same with voltage, but im thinkin i'll never get the tach or speedo to work bc it went through the duramax pcm. so im stuck in a hard spot. thinkin about just puttin the gauge cluster from the cummins in the chevy. i dont know yet, im gettin frustrated with it bc its about all i got left to do, she runs and drives, just gotta get everything working.

This is an alternator off on 04 dodge, but I think you could do the same. I connected the wire as shown below and then fed this input to a dakota digital diesel tach box which then feeds the tach in the dash. It is adjustable and can also vary the output signal strength.

DSC01346.jpg

i have a duramax radiator in the truck, i think im going to switch it out tho. cant get it to stay cool enough, i have no idea why but it wont. might not have good enough electric fans but i dont know yet. i got the tach stuff figured out. i went and got a new alternator and just wired it up from there. anyone get any questions about the truck just pm me. we got it runnin pretty good at the moment but i still dont trust it for distance just yet. im thinking about puttin the lockout free spin hubs on front axle(dana 60 dodge axle) bc i have to go through it anyways seeing how its a 3.54 gear instead of my 3.73 gear. thanks for helpin!