Horrible Fuel Mileage After Snatching

CUMMINSTD

New Ride, Poor Wallet :/
I had to snatch out a piece of equipment the other day (i mean really snatch, 3rd gear 4wd) and i noticed when i got done my fuel gauge seemed to have moved dramatically. Well since then, i put in some more fuel, probably around 1/2-3/4 full and after driving 90 miles (some with a trailer) it showed to have used a 1/4 tank. Is my mileage really that bad now or could i have just messed up my sending unit by snatching so hard

Bad snatch for sure. You need to protect yourself better.

I'd say while in close proximity of the bad snatch, your truck caught the herpa-siffle-aids. Flush it with some Power Service. I've heard it will correct anything from bad injectors to crabs. Worth a shot.

I guess you might have tweaked the sender.....I've heard of stranger things happening.

Last edited:
Full it up and then track miles with odometer. Should get 5-600miles per tank.

I had to snatch out a piece of equipment the other day (i mean really snatch, 3rd gear 4wd) and i noticed when i got done my fuel gauge seemed to have moved dramatically. Well since then, i put in some more fuel, probably around 1/2-3/4 full and after driving 90 miles (some with a trailer) it showed to have used a 1/4 tank. Is my mileage really that bad now or could i have just messed up my sending unit by snatching so hard

Look for a fuel leak

No, not making oil, and
dont see any fuel leak. I have a haze at idle but ive had that for about a year now. Im gonna do the fill up, just didnt want to fill up yet in case i have to pull the tank

Using that much fuel sounds like its making oil and/or an injector issue, be it a cracked nozzle, body, or what have you. Like they said, fill it up and track the mileage carefully.

You'll need to drop the tank to find out, but it may have broken the fuel pickup and sending unit loose. I've seen it before on a customers truck that had been four wheeling with some mild rock climbing.

Using that much fuel sounds like its making oil and/or an injector issue, be it a cracked nozzle, body, or what have you. Like they said, fill it up and track the mileage carefully.

How Can I Identify A Cracked Nozzle aside From Having Each Injector Checked?

You'll need to drop the tank to find out, but it may have broken the fuel pickup and sending unit loose. I've seen it before on a customers truck that had been four wheeling with some mild rock climbing.

I pray Its That Simple

It's not that hard to figure out. Fill it back up and see how much it takes. Sounds like a sending unit issue. I wouldn't think an impact like that would affect anything else in the fuel system.