Hot Allly

bdp

beans diesel performance
My dad just bought a 01 with 110k on it, bought it in TX and had it delivered. He drove it yesterday just to town and back and there is tranny fluid all over and the tranny is way over full. So I let it cool off overnight and checked it this morning and looks like it is about 4-5qts overfull and the fluid smells a little burnt.

Seems to shift ok, temp on the gauge yesterday was 200 and it was about 70deg out.

Think it will be ok? I am gonna drain the fluid and change it and put the right amount back in it, let me know what ya think so if he needs to do something about callin this dealer he can get it done soon.

Overfilling the Alli will make it run hot because of cavitation. When the fluid is too high the planetary gears are dipping into the fluid and causing air bubbles in the fluid. You should be fine after you bring the level down. I like the level at about one half inch below the hot full mark at operating temp.

Cool, hope its ok cause it would be a pain to try and get anything out of a dealer long distance. I drained it down, probably 4qts out of it and it seems to be fine, shifts ok no slips.

How has the Ally been treatin you GM guys especially towin, he bought this thing to tug his skid steer around.

Since this truck came from a dealer, I would atleast make them aware of the problem.
Did they give any kind of warranty?

No warranty I dont think.

Think I figured out what some idiot did. Kept hearing some bearing noise from under the truck that went with truck speed so we jacked it up and ran it in gear and the noise was comin from the tcase. Lookin at the tcase it looks brand new or just replaced. So we check the fluid in it and there is no fluid so we filled it up.

I I believe some idiot installed a new tcase, looked to see what the capacity was and put it in the tranny, this would explain the near 4qts we drained from the trans and the near 4 we added to the tcase. It has stopped makin noise now but hopefully it didnt get damaged before that.

Oh boy...I hope that transfer case didn't run too long dry...You'll be replacing it again....:ugh:

As far as Allison reliability goes, I think you'll find it holds its own just fine. And it's upgradeable too...:woohoo:

gah dumb people these days, can figure out how to change a transfer case, but cant figure out how to add fluid to the right spot.....