HotShotting With a Late Model Gas Pickup?

white93

Has anybody heard of people using a gas powered pickup for commercial hauling? Seeing the failures and repair costs of the new diesel trucks in some of these threads got me wondering about it. A crate gm6.0 costs between 2-4k where a diesel is 6k and up. I know the gasser will get less mpg and be slower but to me it seems like it might be cheaper in the long run. I'm not a hotshotter nor plan to be one. Driving by the GM dealer by my house everyday got me thinking about it.

Local cattle jockey runs all for 1 ton single wheel Ford v10's. Runs them to 150k then rotates

Place around here runs 8.1chevys and the new 6.2 chevys they get 200k then sell them. They run big stock trailers with Dually trucks all gas. Honestly the price of regular gas and cheap repair cost of a gas to a diesel it probably evens out or the gas might come out ahead.

It could work if done properly. I own a hot shot hauling company running Cummins Ram trucks. But we actually have used a 4x4 Hemi 6 speed manual for about 30,000 miles to fill in. The lower price for fuel, lower cost of maintence, etc does help offset the fuel mileage, which actually was not bad at 7mpg weighing 23-26,000lbs Gross! My 2wd 6.7 emissions truck only got 7.5mpg before the deletes, now 9.5mpg (5.9 trucks get 10.5mpg). But the blown engine and trans at 168,000 on my 2010 cummins (20k) would have been half the price to fix on a Hemi.

Local cattle jockey runs all for 1 ton single wheel Ford v10's. Runs them to 150k then rotates

I haven't talked to anybody with a V10 ferd yet, that wasn't happy with it.

Buddy of mine's retired father uses one to pull his fifth wheel around, gets 10-11 doin that so...

That's not a lot worse than my 7.3's get towing comparable weight.

So its about even. I didn't even think about Dodge or Ford gassers. All I see around here is GM so the others are out of sight out of mind.

I knew farmer who was a diehard ford man. Numerous V10's didn't want to pay the extra cash for the powerstrokes. Had 250K on his personal one, and just purchased another. No issues pulling anything they hooked to.

I knew farmer who was a diehard ford man. Numerous V10's didn't want to pay the extra cash for the powerstrokes. Had 250K on his personal one, and just purchased another. No issues pulling anything they hooked to.

My old boss swore by them. He had an extra cab with an 8 ft service box on a 350 SRW chassis. Thing sounded like it was wound the fuuck out all the time, but didn't do too bad hauling loaded dump trailers. He didn't like it when I'd blow his doors off with the same size or bigger load behind mine though :D

To the last of my knowledge, he was still driving it, and it had over 200k on it then.

It could work if done properly. I own a hot shot hauling company running Cummins Ram trucks. But we actually have used a 4x4 Hemi 6 speed manual for about 30,000 miles to fill in. The lower price for fuel, lower cost of maintence, etc does help offset the fuel mileage, which actually was not bad at 7mpg weighing 23-26,000lbs Gross! My 2wd 6.7 emissions truck only got 7.5mpg before the deletes, now 9.5mpg (5.9 trucks get 10.5mpg). But the blown engine and trans at 168,000 on my 2010 cummins (20k) would have been half the price to fix on a Hemi.

Ive read like at least 3 posts where you have referred to this blown up truck with bad trans....want to sell it or do you need a hug?

Ive read like at least 3 posts where you have referred to this blown up truck with bad trans....want to sell it or do you need a hug?

hows that go? do a good job and they will tell a friend or two. screw someone over and they will tell everybody.

Thanks for the hug!

I am/was one of the biggest Cummins fans around. I have convinced a lot of people into buying them. I used to truely believe in them so deeply. When my engine spun #6 rod bearing I lost a lot of faith. You would also. All of a sudden, now that my eyes are open, I notice a lot more engine failures then before. It just sucks. Since it broke I have spent much more time on multiple diesel forums learning about it. I only feel its right to give my knowledge back also. I should start a thread about my build just waiting for more answers to be able to share the entire story.

Because an engine failure is just totally unheard of...

Anything designed and built by men will occasionally have a failure. It's part of life.

G56 was driving & shifting fine. Heard rod knock. pulled trans to pull engine. Fluid had gold metal havings. Input shaft wiggled. Opened case chunks of metal from shaft. Bought new G56 installed fast coolers and Amsoil 50wt FTF overfill 1qt.

Never figured out why rod bearing spun. Oil pump good. Injectors tested good from exergy. Maumu sold me all new gaskets. Bought new short block. Currently breaking in. Have 400 miles so far. Running smooth. Ton of work though!

Typing from tablet is to slow. Laptop next time.

Guy's there is only one way to spell P O V E R T Y with a gas engine.

Back