How are the 2006 Headgaskets...

Trbotime

Holding up stock or with a tuner? After reading all these posts I'm getting the itch to get one, but...

So far w/ about 17k not one problem in stock form, not even coolant residue around the cap with it being full. I tow about 10k up some pretty serious grades coming and going to the desert, so I'm looking for a tune to help out with that and would like to be able to smoke some fools with when not towing.

Don't have to many mod friendly dealers around here so need to be careful.

I talked to a guy at IRP he ran 115MPH in the 1/4mi in a 2wd 6.0L says the stock headgaskets are fine 05 and later.

from what i hear that it isnt so much the headgaskets but the heads in the 03-04s...they pretty much came warpped from the factory....

I am still on stock bolts and gaskets. No problems yet but I am probably on my way since I put on the NOS I have had a little puking but I was told that is normal at this power level. (A little that is)

I have been running a tune on the 06 since I had 2000 miles on the motor. I now have 20000 miles and all is golden.

Trbotime,

I see your in Cali. :Cheer:

I have a 2006 and have been playing with a few different tuners and mods. I lost a little coolant when I was doing about 90mph on the highway, Livermore to Bako picking up a load in a higher tune:doh: But other than that she has been fine. I have been stacking parts to the side to pull the cab and do studs, rings and other stuff ;). Just waiting to slow down alittle to find time:bang .

Nor-Cal Nick

Thanks for the responses guys, it's nice to hear the 06's are holding up better.
:thankyou2:

Yes the 05/06 gaskets have done better than 03/04. But with that being said I have read on other boards of 05/06 failures stock and chipped. They are not in big numbers compared to the 03/04 but still there. I wouldn't play with fire on a 6.0, if you're going to mod might as well just get yourself some cheap insurance. I mean do you really want to be thinking "I hope I don't blow a HG" every time you make a 1/4 mile pass or work the truck like a dog?

Good way to put it.

It's funny, we just took the heads off a 2003 & 2005 that has been beat on and they didn't even have a bad head gasket. I know for sure the 05 has been not driven lightly.

Nor-Cal Nick

Well it's kind of a hit or miss issue. Some guys have trouble free trucks that they stand behind every mile. Others want to take the truck cliff diving.

Keep in mind

Ford sells more Diesels in a year than Dodge & Chevy combined. Seems natural that you would hear more of every aspect of the Fords, kinda like a porportional thing?

Vizsla said:
Ford sells more Diesels in a year than Dodge & Chevy combined. Seems natural that you would hear more of every aspect of the Fords, kinda like a porportional thing?
So are you trying to use "oh well, ford sells more than ya'll" to offset the cold hard fact that the 6.0 was a troublesome engine for many?

no but it puts a better picture of the situation... 03 107k 20k eith tuner stock head gasktets

LOL, not quite. Ford guys are always looking for a way to improve the image of their engines! *bdh* It's a proven fact the 6.0 had a lot of major issues, no matter how many of the things they sold.

150k miles and gaskets are on their way...cant even get on it without it puking all the coolant out(3 gallons + on a light run 2-3miles) 2006 f-250:( Going to see dj VERY soon(when the white smoke comes) to get heads and studs..

Back