how big of single can be spooled?

SMOKIN-U

Comp Diesel Sponsor
i have a friend with an 02 6 speed and he will being be doing rods pistons cam twin pumps injectors and efi live. he is wondering what the biggest turbo he could prob put on his truck and get it lit while sled pulling? i was thinking mabye an 88 but i thought i would ask the duramax guys what you thought? also i think i have heard of some mounting them where they are on the dodges to get them ou awa from the cramped fire wall, if so how do you go about doing this? thanks for all the help

Toss on a GT4294R if you want big. As far as putting the turbo over the fender instead of between the valve covers, thats just a simple fab job, just dig in and start doing it you will have to make new oil feed and drain lines, a flange to go from the up pipes (or new up pipes into a collector) to run over to the turbine housing, air filter setup, and relocate the maf sensor, new downpipe, etc. If your gonna be swapping turbos around its worth it otherwise not really worth all the work.

88mm on a dmax? No way! The largest single that manual guys are running and having good success is a GT42 size turbo, which I believe is 74mm.
A 80+mm turbo could certainly be spooled, but would fall off way too early on a tight track.

Guys are making over 900hp with a 3" turbo, and people like the Kuslieks I'm sure are making well over 1000hp in there "big" truck.

The main reason for mounting the turbo on the side of the engine is for serviceability.

we didnt know for sure am running a 476 on mine with no issues at all. We just figured a 480 or 488 wouldnt be a problem with that motor having more cubic inch and better airflow. if he were to do something huge like that i thought we would have to relocate it to the fender cause the lack of room. can you stuff that big of charger in the engine valley? thanks

I am not familiar with a 476, 480, or a 488 who makes those how do they compare to garrets? like a 4094? or the 4094? you can run a bigger turbo on the Dmax due to the much better flowing heads just depends on where you want the rpm band and how you want it to spool.

we didnt know for sure am running a 476 on mine with no issues at all. We just figured a 480 or 488 wouldnt be a problem with that motor having more cubic inch and better airflow. if he were to do something huge like that i thought we would have to relocate it to the fender cause the lack of room. can you stuff that big of charger in the engine valley? thanks

It will fit in the valley. It's a tight fit but it will fit

An S400 charger will fit in the valley. The problem with keeping a large charger spooled is they like lots of RPMs. Being your buddy has a manual tranny he would spool a 80+mm turbo no problem, but would fall off quickly as the RPMs fell.

surely if i in an 05 dodge with an auto can light and stay on top of a 76mm turbo he could surely do a bit bigger due to the better flowng heads and more rpm along with being a manual transmission. thanks for all the feedback guys i think i know what we are going to try now! i guess when its time to do it we will try to cram it in the valley. carcrafter22 i am not for sure how they compare to a garrett charger but its a berg warner 400 series turbo with the option of either a 65 72 76 80 or 88mm compressor wheel and there are several variations of exhaust wheels such as 82 87 96 and different ar housings you can get them in .83 .90 1.0 1.1 1.32

I know a few guys running S480's on dmaxes , they spool fine on auto trucks with loose converters ( not fast but they do light for competition ) , not shure how a manual would be .

I spool a a GT4202 with ease. With the clutch in I can make 20 psi at 4000rpm. As soon as start letting the clutch out it goes straight past 50 psi. I plan on going bigger.

I have a S480 for a secondary and I made a pipe to mount between the primary pedistal and 2nd turbo, it would not really light on the street until damn near 3000rpm and stayed lit fine down the track at 4000-4200rpm...If he wants to run a S488 he will probably have to turn it around 5000-5500 down the track to not fall under it...just a guess though, so you will probably have to play with ring and pinions or gears to get the rpm's needed.

Or use a little:nos:

I have a S480 for a secondary and I made a pipe to mount between the primary pedistal and 2nd turbo, it would not really light on the street until damn near 3000rpm and stayed lit fine down the track at 4000-4200rpm...If he wants to run a S488 he will probably have to turn it around 5000-5500 down the track to not fall under it...just a guess though, so you will probably have to play with ring and pinions or gears to get the rpm's needed.

Or use a little:nos:

Was that with a 1.32 housing on the large wheel?