how do i do it right the first time??

pizziLLA

Pizza, diesel & jeep tech
my old 24 valve truck was rolled and totalled last month.. im selling off all of my go fast parts, and i want to do essentially the same thing to the CR that im picking up next week... what is the translation between the truck in my sig, and what i would need to get the same performance out of a CR???

whats the best box? whats the best ECM programmer+ code reader+tire size correction?? whats a good mild and not overpriced injector?? turbo?? what kind of issues will i run into?

i think ill build the 48 tranny identical as my 47

the biggest brick wall i ran into was head gasket failure at 47psi and constantly dealing with lift pump pressure, otherwise i absolutely loved the 24 valve setup, and id like to get the CR to about the same hp/tq levels

Well with the 5.9L CR that would be pretty easy to do a one for one mod, not sure on the 6.7L and what is available for it yet.

You seem to have a solid basic formula that won't change with the CR engine. Built trans/upgraded TC, maybe laminated flexplate if you get over the 500rwhp range, Smarty with TST or Pressure Box, around 100hp injectors, turbo maybe a little bigger than you had on 24v, but that size would work up to about 550hp. You will need a lift pump upgrade at least. This level of mods should net around 500-550hp.

A lot will say you need upgraded or dual CP3s, but I don't think so until you want to go over 550hp.

Studs should be all you need if that, my stock head bolts and gasket held 55psi out of the SPS66 for a year before I had studs added.

Just my .02.

the truck is an '05

how about just a box and programmer stuff alone?? what is the most potent stuff out there?? i know that the smarty/comp stack is the generally agreed best for the 24 valves at the moment.. but what about the CR's??

in my '00 truck, i had just recently blown the headgasket pushing about 46-48psi... i have a cometic gasket and ARP studs all new in box for the '00 that ill have to sell off also... unless the studs would work on the '05... then i might keep them around

i think they are getting the most power running tst and smarty or tst and bdcl

my advice for roughly 516 hp on an 05:
Fass or glacier pump
Smarty with a beta 4.2,4.3, or 4.4 tune
Turbo (make your own decision on this one... I like my silver bullet.)

that should get you close to 500 for a reasonable price.

The next step would be to add a pressure box (MP8 or X2)
followed by an upgraded CP3(floor it, relentless, darkside, industrial injection) and injectors (Dynomite, Industrial injection, F-1)
which will get you around the 600hp mark.

you've already mentioned that you'll be doing the necessary trans. work.

pizziLLA said:
my old 24 valve truck was rolled and totalled last month.. im selling off all of my go fast parts, and i want to do essentially the same thing to the CR that im picking up next week... what is the translation between the truck in my sig, and what i would need to get the same performance out of a CR???

whats the best box? whats the best ECM programmer+ code reader+tire size correction?? whats a good mild and not overpriced injector?? turbo?? what kind of issues will i run into?

i think ill build the 48 tranny identical as my 47

the biggest brick wall i ran into was head gasket failure at 47psi and constantly dealing with lift pump pressure, otherwise i absolutely loved the 24 valve setup, and id like to get the CR to about the same hp/tq levels

The studs you have are good for the CR also.You shouldn't need them because it already has a MLS gasket,unless you want to exceed 50psi on a regular basis. Smarty and pressure box of choice,62 or 64 turbo, 50-100hp inj.,lift pump and DIY or stage 1,2 cp-3 mod should easily put you in the range you want.I made 523hp,1038tq with my mods on stock inj. and cp-3.Have not dynoed since F1 inj. upgrade and modded cp-3 and rail.

homewrecker said:
The studs you have are good for the CR also.You shouldn't need them because it already has a MLS gasket,unless you want to exceed 50psi on a regular basis. Smarty and pressure box of choice,62 or 64 turbo, 50-100hp inj.,lift pump and DIY or stage 1,2 cp-3 mod should easily put you in the range you want.I made 523hp,1038tq with my mods on stock inj. and cp-3.Have not dynoed since F1 inj. upgrade and modded cp-3 and rail.
Couldn't have said it better my self. A Smarty/TST stack seems to be the best of choice around here. I would keep your studs and install them on the CR just for some added insurance against a blown head gasket. a good 62/14 or 64/14 turbo with a set of 90hp DDP injector tips would be my choice. Get a FASS or an Air Dog fuel system as well as a modified rail and stage 2 or 3 cp3 and you will probably have well over the power you had in the 24v.

sweet!!!

so whats a pressure box?? is it kind of like the same thing as an injection pump tapper box on the 24 valves??

i looked up the warranty work done on the truck im getting, and it appears as though the cp3 has already been replaced once. im going to try to stay away from a modded cp3 and modded injectors... with the difference between the 24 valves and the CR trucks, ive been told that ill be just as happy with the tranny, turbo, and a smarty/TST stack as i was with all of the junk that was on my old truck..

the other thing is that i rarely ran my old truck at full juice; my smarty never saw sw 8and 9 and the comp never saw 5x5 unless i was on the rollers, or intentionally smoking out a rice rocket (or chebby)... most of my running around consisted of no comp, and smarty on 7- comp when i needed the extra juice for a moment, but it got used only 2 or 3 times a month only still

my plan will be to have the turbo wastegated at 40 again, so that it will be unlikely that i see even above 40 unless im giving it the extra onion!!

otherwise, im happy with the 32-38 psi range(atleast i was with my 24v)

pizziLLA said:
im going to try to stay away from a modded cp3 and modded injectors...

you won't need the TST if you can get ahold of a beta program. It won't really do any good without a better pump or pumps anyway.

Smarty Beta/EZ stack. Fuel system, I prefer the Eliminator. Throw the head studs in it, no need to worry about the head gasket on a 3rd gen. Get your tran's done. And the Turbo is up to you. Those item's alone with the right turbo will get you more than what you had before.

sick!! that sounds just too easy on these 3rd gens!!! i cant explain how much time i spent, and wasted parts i bought trying to get the 24v done the way i liked it!! im gunna order my smarty right away!

woo hoo!!! off to pick up the new truck tomorrow morning!!!! pics when i get back- the transformation begins!

after looking at the 3rd gen page here, i noticed that im not the only one who got a black QC dually this week!!!

from vegas back to reno, i got the chance to drive it and get aquainted to the new set of wheels... im blown away by how smooth, quiet, and the awesome ride quality is on this truck. it is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from my '00 that i owned for 2 years. it will be easy to get used to driving this 4x4 limo around!!

specs: '05 quad cab, auto, dually... im gunna look at the engine tag to check which specific one ive got in the am.

Attachments

• Dually 012s.JPG
    Dually 012s.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Dually 007s.JPG
    Dually 007s.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 6
  • Dually 013s.JPG
    Dually 013s.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Dually 018s.JPG
    Dually 018s.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 7
I've owned 3 1 ton dually's. ('98,'03,'04.5) 2 of the 3 have been black including my current truck. Nothing looks better when it's clean. I didn't get mine this week, but welcome to the 3rd gen club :clap:

ChromeTrim-1.jpg

love the duallys guys , congrats on your new purchase , i might me getting rid of my 94 today for a 06 ill keep you guys updated , again very nice trucks :clap: