How does the torque convertor mount to the flexplate?

I'm upgrading the flexplate on my 04 crate engine for my Excursion project and can't seem to tell how the torque convertor mounts to it?

I've got the ring that bolts to the torque convertor, but how do you bolt it to the flexplate? Neither has threaded holes? In what order would you put them together?

No I don't have a service manual yet...

Pics would be great:thankyou2:

Torque convertor should have holes tapped in it. Dodge torque convertor?

There are 6 or 8 (I can't remember) bolts that tighten in. Lock tite them... they will work their way out. You access the bolts through an inspection cover on the front of the bell housing.

Its a Goerends convertor, yes it has threaded holes in it. I know the ring bolts to the convertor. But how does that mount to the flexplate? Neither the flexplate or the metal ring have threaded holes. I know I am missing something here?

GOT-Torque said:
Its a Goerends convertor, yes it has threaded holes in it. I know the ring bolts to the convertor. But how does that mount to the flexplate? Neither the flexplate or the metal ring have threaded holes. I know I am missing something here?

the flexplate should not have threaded holes. only the TC. the bolt goest through the hole and is tightened by the TC

So the TC bolts directly to the flexplate? If so, that answers my question.

My transmission (which I bought as a new takeout) came with a stock TC with a metal ring bolted to it? I wonder what the heck it was for?

Here's a pic of it, the inside holes line up with both the flexplate holes and the TC holes, however there is no way I see to mount this ring to the flexplate?

ring.jpg

Last edited:
It would appear that that ring gets sandwiched between the TC and flywheel. The bolt goes through the fly wheel and into the TC. I'll say this though, I've never seen a ring like that before.

It won't actually go together that way though. The ring is as big around as the flexplate starter gear so it leaves 1/2" gap between the flexplate face and the ring face. Maybe its for some other application? I don't have any idea?

Camotanker said:
There are 6 or 8 (I can't remember) bolts that tighten in. Lock tite them... they will work their way out. You access the bolts through an inspection cover on the front of the bell housing.
whats a flex plate?:hehe:

the ring isnt for shipping is it? to hold the converter in the tranny during shipping! I have never seen a ring but i know on my tranny's (both) the had a small piece of steel bolted up so the torque converter doesnt fall out during shipping....

Or maybe the ring was bolted to the FP to kinda keep the teeth from getting damaged in transit. I know my Dodge didn't have one of those in there when I replaced the TC.

George

Back