how long will the tranny last?

ChaseN

Jobless/Truckless
ok let me state my history:

had a 2003 6.0 torqshift that i loved on 37's & 8" lift, tuned with (i know i shouldnt say this) but edge juice w/attitude. the truck lasted 99k miles before it went up in flames in middle of the night. NONE of those 99k miles did i have ANY problems with my tranny. many people say that they fail quick, well i was HARD on mine just about every weekend at the track and all day every day.

now i have a 2004.5 dodge (that i trade in tomrrow) with the 6spd. i ran a TST/smarty stacked and NEVER slipped the clutch. i ran that HARD too. i was told the clutch wouldnt last.

i also have a 2006 6.0 with 82k miles, NEVER had any troubles.

NOW WHAT IM ASKING...

i pick up my new truck tomorrow.
2006 Dodge CTD 4x4 Auto SLT SWB Q/C 46k miles.

i have heard nothing but NEGATIVE things about this tranny, how long will it last me, all stock truck, other than straight pipe & intake? it does not and WILL not have a gooseneck in it. should the bands be adjusted at any certain mileage?

input please.
thanks.

Chase Nesloney

Negative things about a 48re? Umm, no. I went up to 496hp on my stock 47re with nothing more than a valve body and the only reason it died was cause I got greedy and started doing boosted launches and burn outs. With a stock truck that doesn't pull the tranny should last as least as long as the truck itself if not longer. These tranny's are a lot tougher than people think they are if you know how to drive them. Don't lug them, don't go crazy on the burnouts and boosted launches (which shouldn't be an issue on a stock truck), and roll into the throttle instead of just stomping on it. Pick up the new truck and go have fun with it and don't worry about it.

ChaseN said:
any one else?

I con'd my nieghbor into doing his new trucks tranny. TC, valvebody, input shaft, flexplate, (At RIP's) locally. I pointed out it is a little cheaper to do when the tranny is new and tranny prices have not gone down with time. Why wait to be able to safely enjoy your truck and of course with in a week the new guages sure where nice to monitor the performance of the new Smarty. These talks are a lot easier to see happen than they used to be.

Opie you sure ain't helping with the leaving it stock process are ya? LOL

30,000 miles, about 25,000 with Smarty on #9, and my trannys been holding up like a champ. These trannys get a bad rap, but for the way I drive and the power I have at the moment, Im impressed...dont worry about it, especially with just exhaust and minor stuff like that...

My buddy is running a smarty on #9 and consistently dynos 460-462 on several different dyno jets on varying days so i'd say it's pretty damn accurate. Stock auto with intake and exhaust and he's towed up to I think it was 20-30k before with the smarty on 9 with no problem. Now, with that being said, I definitely don't recommend doing that.

Baylor5.9 said:
so these trannys can hold up to more than they are given credit for.

Id say they do...of course, it all depends on how you drive, if you tow and how much, and mods done

I drive tough and tore up my tranny with stock power. Its all a gamble.