How much? 180hp cam in a 215hp p-pump?

STACKED

I got a chance to buy a 215hp pump cheap but it has messed up cam threads. How much would it cost me to put a 180hp cam in it?

Don't have a 180, just the 215. I know that the 180 pump dosen't Have the timing retarding. If I have to get a new cam anyway might as well get a 180 cam right?

The cams are the same, it's the plungers that are different. the 180, 175, and 160 plungers are flat tops while the 215s have retarding notches. The more the rack travels in the 215 the more timing it pulls away. if your going through the trouble of a new cam I would put a quick rate in and flat top plungers, but it depends on what your goals are.

Cams are the same. I had bought one with bad threads once and got a quote for changing the cam. I don't remember the dollars, but it was quoted at 11 hours labor if that helps.

Cams are the same. I had bought one with bad threads once and got a quote for changing the cam. I don't remember the dollars, but it was quoted at 11 hours labor if that helps.

Yes it does take time...done a few myself to save a big bill from the pump shop but custom tools are required which are not cheap.

Not much.

I've seen good 215 pumps sit at $600. That one needs an expensive repair.

just a thought, and maybe a bad idea. Buy an adjustable pump gear and weld the billet hub to the pump shaft. Might make your existing pump useable again. Sounds cheaper than having the cam swapped too.

Not a bad idea. Could a machine shop make me some new threads and maybe use a different nut?

How bad are the threads? I've seen some awful looking pump shaft threads that held the nut just fine.

I would take it to the machine shop of your choice and get their opinion. I have seen machinist friends of mine do things that are just short of a miracle.

IMO, if you have to machine the threads off and rethread it smaller, I doubt it will hold long. The factory setup (tapered gear on tapered shaft) needs all the clamping force it can get from the original sized nut. Many guys take the torque all the way up to 165 ft lbs to try and get it to hold.

I would also assume the pump shaft was hardened, once you get below the hardened layer your threads are going to be weaker too.