How much can u make before it goes boom?

joediesel

How much power/ modifications can the trans handle before i need to rebuild? Im talking on a 7.3psd auto. I know i need to build it up before i really throw some powerdown but for interests sake. Also how much power will the this engine withstand?

What year truck ? Forged rod motor can take a bit more than PMR motors.
As for the trans..IMHO if you get above 400 to the wheels you should be planing trans upgrades.

400-450 max, you have PMR. I would beef the trans before you do anything. A TC and a shift kit go along way. You can kill a stocker with just a chip.

What years are the "forged rod motors" ? Thanks in advance guys. I have a 99 and an 00. Just curious.

not quite sure on that, I think all '99s were

I dunno all the OBS trucks were and thats all that maters to me haha

I have to get hip on all this terminology. Umm... What does "OBS" trucks stand for? I'm learnin here! Thanks guys.

If anyone is thinking of upgrading rods I have some Hypermax rods that I will sell for $1200. You definately need these over 500hp. As for the trans, build it balls to the wall the first time, because I learned the hard way, and five rebuilds later I got a BTS and never had another problem with it.

I toasted 3 stock trannies before warranty gave up and I had to rebuild it on just a programmer. It all depends on how you drive it.

OBS :doh: I gotta get off that short bus. Thanks for the forged rod years too. Got lucky on both the 99 and the 00. On the trans subject. I know it is a relatively big outlay of cash. But I would build the heck out of it too. Speaking from experience. Of the bad variety.

yeah I have the nbs, 2003built ford tough package I blew my trannie with a programmer and an excavator:bang
but I got the ford performance tranny that has a 3yr 75000 mile deal, as long as I dont run it with-out oil or bury it in mud I'm good:rockwoot:

You have PMR's if you have a 2003 motor. 400+- should be your max.... A good shift kit and maybe a TC and your tranny will be fine as long as you dont cook it.

oldschoolPSD said:
400-450 max, you have PMR. I would beef the trans before you do anything. A TC and a shift kit go along way. You can kill a stocker with just a chip.

What does PMR stand for?

I have a Feb 2000 built 7.3. So, I guess I have forged rods. Assuming a transmission upgrade, what is a reasonable power limit for a forged rod motor? Stock turbo.

Thanks

Last edited:
Powder Metal Rods. As far as i know the motor will take as much as the injection system will supply.$.02

SEOHPowerstroke said:
If anyone is thinking of upgrading rods I have some Hypermax rods that I will sell for $1200. You definately need these over 500hp. As for the trans, build it balls to the wall the first time, because I learned the hard way, and five rebuilds later I got a BTS and never had another problem with it.

Thats a good price for the rods.

Around Oct. 13, 2000 on the motor sticker is when they changed from forged rods to PMRs. Anything close to this date you better check by looking through the hole. You have to go by the sticker on the motor not the sticker on the door of the truck.

You can blow up a stock motor with just a chip too......:hehe:

The forged rods will hold up to 500hp+ from what I understand as long as you don't use drugs on it.......:rules: .....Drugs will wreak havoc on your bottom end. You can blow forged rods below 500hp if you use drugs too.

As for Trans. Build them to the hilt the first time. If you do it right the first time you will save alot of money. The stock TC is junk. Use a good Multiple Disk like Suncoast. Be prepared to spend around $4,500+ though for a good one installed. Ask Lil E he can enlighten you......:hehe: