how much horsepower and torque should i expect

XNsXdrivR

Hi everyone, I put my 370's in last weekend, and i couldn't be any happier with my 12 valve, although, i'm taking it easy and driving it like a grandma, since i want my stock rebuilt tranny and torque converter to last another couple months before i'm ready to upgrade to a Goerend. From there i'm hoping to do some serious modding to hit some good 1/4 mile numbers. I'm anxious to find out how much hp and torque i'm putting out, and what kind of 1/4 mile times i can expect to run once i upgrade my torque converter to a Goerend based on the mods I've listed below, so i figure i'd get some suggestions from you guys. Both of my friends think I should be putting out around 400 hp, but then again, it feels like i should be putting on more based on the seat of the pants gauge. How much HP and torque should my 12v be putting out, and what 1/4 mile times should i be running? Thanks everyone.

Hey, Looks like we have kinda similar pickups (if I'm wrong in this assessment, lemme know, as I'm still new to all this). I'm in love with mine! Sounds like you're on your way there too. I haven't dyno'd mine, but the previous owner did and I believe it's around 470hp. Not sure if that helps or not, but that's about where I sit, to my knowledge anyway.

Last edited:
Pangela said:
Hey, Looks like we have kinda similar pickups (if I'm wrong in this assessment, lemme know, as I'm still new to all this). I'm in love with mine! Sounds like you're on your way there too. I haven't dyno'd mine, but the previous owner did and I believe it's around 470hp. Not sure if that helps or not, but that's about where I sit, to my knowledge anyway.

Yeah, very similar but you're a lucky man, since you have a performance torque converter, and valve body, which makes a world of difference to compared to stock. Yeah, I'm new to this also, got my 12 valve about 4 months ago and I've never imagined it to be this much fun.

My brother has a 98 12v with a #0 plate 370's, pump work, and his his AFC has been played with, he has the phat shaft 62, and 33's,and AFE cold air intake, and ATS triple lock torque converter. I think that is it and he has dynoed at 470 at the rear wheels, not sure on torque and his 1/4 fastest is 14.2

Last edited:
lol Thanks. I do consider myself lucky. It's a great truck and I love it. I've even notice some of the boys I beat off the line do tend not to appreciate that so much ;)

I ran the exact same setup in my 97, except I had a 5 speed.

I dynoed 405 HP.

You might be a tad less due to the 180 pump and the auto tranny, but you're close.

I think ASTROSS is closer to being correct. That power level is a LOT of fun, though. Very enjoyable.

470 on a stock charger...not without lot's of tuning!

I'm with AsTroSS...on the conservative side of it too!

Of course, I was guessing near 500hp with my setup, and came up very short at 380hp:(
Chris

Last edited:
gitchesum said:
I ran the exact same setup in my 97, except I had a 5 speed.

I dynoed 405 HP.

You might be a tad less due to the 180 pump and the auto tranny, but you're close.
there is a pretty big difference.. I dyno'd right behind a 97 auto who had the same plate as me. He had a K&N and I had an AFE. Both trucks with 4" exhaust, and same size tires/gears. He ran upper 260's low 270's (this was years ago, can't remember exactly). And I ran 334, then 338 on a different dyno the same day.

Lucky Jeff said:
there is a pretty big difference.. I dyno'd right behind a 97 auto who had the same plate as me. He had a K&N and I had an AFE. Both trucks with 4" exhaust, and same size tires/gears. He ran upper 260's low 270's (this was years ago, can't remember exactly). And I ran 334, then 338 on a different dyno the same day.

I would have to agree
If there is no extra rack travel in the pump and the turbo is stock I doubt more than 350-370hp like AsTroSS predicted.

looks like a have a bit more to do before hitting above the 500 hp mark. Once I get my tranny done, milled delivery valves, and twin turbo, hopefully i'll be way above 500hp. Thanks everyone.

Signature600 said:
470 on a stock charger...not without lot's of tuning!

I'm with AsTroSS...on the conservative side of it too!

Of course, I was guessing near 500hp with my setup, and came up very short at 380hp:(
Chris

I have no idea to be honest, what my truck puts out, the 470... (ok 469 to be EXACT). I had already bought the truck and I saw the previous owner at the pull in Redding a few weekends ago and that's what he told me it had dyno'd a while back. I have not actually dyno'd it since I got it. Maybe I should do this lol

I think I've learned that if I hadn't gotten so hung up on numbers and just asked myself if I enjoyed the way my truck was, I would have saved a pickup-load full of cash. When my truck was at the 450 horse level or so, I loved it. Everytime I drove it, I liked it even more. Six months, $20k later, my truck still isn't done.

Pangela said:
I have no idea to be honest, what my truck puts out, the 470... (ok 469 to be EXACT). I had already bought the truck and I saw the previous owner at the pull in Redding a few weekends ago and that's what he told me it had dyno'd a while back. I have not actually dyno'd it since I got it. Maybe I should do this lol

Not that it's impossible...but I highly doubt it! If it is, you got one heck of a good running truck :D

Chris

Signature600 said:
Not that it's impossible...but I highly doubt it! If it is, you got one heck of a good running truck :D

Chris

lol eh, I guess I should care, but I don't really. I love my truck. It still makes me smile when I get in every morning, and I still giggle when I smoke someone out or they hit the brakes because they think somethings exploding when they see that huge puff of smoke. And I get huge amounts of pleasure from pulling and going to the events. So no, it's not about numbers for me lol. And when I do dyno, I'll be sure to let y'all know :p

well with my 97 a gorends tranny and all my mods I only put down 394 (corrected) Hp so with your set up i wouldn't expect anymore then 350 and dont be suprised if your under that