how much water with stg IV snow towing?

DTanklage

Banned
actually, the water is the given, should be how much fuel?

gonna use the stock 30 gal fuel tank to hold the water

so how big of a fuel tank do i need to build to have em both run dry at about the same point of the trip?

p-pump truck runnin coast to coast

got er backed down to 400 hp

62/65/13ss - #10 plate - ddp stg III's - nv4500 w/ gv splitter - 3.55 gear - 31" tire

snow stg 4 with (2) 625 nozzles and (1) 325

system moves some water

was thinking 120 gal of fuel to 30 gals of water?

am i way off?

thanks in advance

don

Your only looknin at about 2.5 gallons per hour max flow on the water. So how much fuel do you burn an hour? You are probably close on the fuel IF you were flowing water all the time, which I am betting you won't be at 50% most of the time. What are you going to be doing that you are gonna need that much water?

What are you going to be doing that you are gonna need that much water?

i drag race bikes

back east

i live in so cal

so, it goes back n forth a lot

i dont like stoppin

and the stock fuel tank holds 30 gals so thats where the 30 gals of water is gonna go

just gonna build as big a tank (fuel) as i can fit back there and see what happens

thanks, don

ps - imagine leaving so cal and not stopping for fuel til okla

lol

i drag race bikes

back east

i live in so cal

so, it goes back n forth a lot

i dont like stoppin

and the stock fuel tank holds 30 gals so thats where the 30 gals of water is gonna go

just gonna build as big a tank (fuel) as i can fit back there and see what happens

thanks, don

ps - imagine leaving so cal and not stopping for fuel til okla

lol

Cool deal on the bikes. I didn't mean the 30 gallon tank. I meant what are you going to be doing that you need that much volume of water injection. That is enough water to keep 1000hp cool. With a progressive system you won't be injecting full capacity very much while towing, at least I wouldn't think so. So my guess is you will probably be able to make it both ways on 30 gallons of water. So you are probably good just putting in as big a fuel tank as you can. I doubt you could reasonably carry enough fuel to match the water capacity tank for tank. Let us know how it turns out.

12v laugh at water

with no programmer just on a switch i activated it at half throttle expecting to drown the thing

not

tried it again on the frwy at cruise, almost no throttle - didnt even buck

i have a feeling 1000hp trucks use a lot more than 3 nozzles

will let you know how it turns out

thanks

What kind of MPG are you getting while towing?

I get 10 when I pull my 36 foot 5th wheel that comes in around 15K. I have a 97 aux tank in the bed with a 38 gallon fuel tank so a total on 135 gallons. I can go over 1000 miles between stops with out pushing it.

I would think a much easier and cheaper method would be to buy an aux tank around 100 gallons (I think once you go over 150 gallons you need a hazmat endorsement or a placard?) You can plum the tank right into your existing tank for under $100. Then come up with a 10 to 20 gallon tank for the H2O and you will be good to go. Your range should easily be over 1000 miles towing, and you will not have to re due the trucks fuel system.

I think the question that was stated "what are you doing that needs that much water" was meant "why in the world are you injecting that much water when you are turned to 400 HP, it's not like you are roasting the engine and need the major cooling at that power level". So- what is the need to inject so much water just for normal towing cross country with a 400 HP (MAX) engine?

Don,
I am running this Cooling mist kit, with the 6 gallon tank.
Coolingmist Water Injection, alcohol injection and Methanol Injection systems

Last year I went out to Gettysburg PA from Illinois pulling my 12k camper with it loaded to the hilt with all the familys crap.

I used ONLY water on that trip and for every 30 gallons of diesel I used about 5 gallons of water. I had the first stage come on at 1050* and the second stage come on at 1200*.

With a 8 and 5 year old I need to stop so they can go to the bathroom. I thought about getting an aux. tank, but I think its worthless for me right now considering I have to stop anyways.

This was with my Silver64 (64/74/14) and DDP4s. I REALLY needed the water to keep her cool pulling the hills and mountains.

Last edited:
I get about 14 gal of water to 32 gal diesel at 15 mpg with a progressive system that comes on at 2 psi boost so for that ratio you would need about 80 gal of diesel

I get about 14 gal of water to 32 gal diesel at 15 mpg with a progressive system that comes on at 2 psi boost so for that ratio you would need about 80 gal of diesel

You use more water running the maxmpg system.

This year I am setting mine up with a hobbs switch for the first stage and then set the second stage for 1200* egt.
Best of both worlds I think.

My system filled my crankcase full of milkshake having it flow ~10 GPH at 5 PSI and 800 degrees EGT for a couple hours.

I don't see a reason to run it that low. On my truck it caused a constant light black haze until I got to over 1000 degrees and 10 PSI; didn't notice any efficiency gains, although no efficiency gains would outweigh wet oil. I now set things to maintain a 1000 degree EGT and haven't had water in my oil since.

I haven't seen anything to convince me that water injection has merits at cruise. I wouldn't run it unless I needed it, ie. hills and acceleration.

My system filled my crankcase full of milkshake having it flow ~10 GPH at 5 PSI and 800 degrees EGT for a couple hours.

I don't see a reason to run it that low. On my truck it caused a constant light black haze until I got to over 1000 degrees and 10 PSI; didn't notice any efficiency gains, although no efficiency gains would outweigh wet oil. I now set things to maintain a 1000 degree EGT and haven't had water in my oil since.

I haven't seen anything to convince me that water injection has merits at cruise. I wouldn't run it unless I needed it, ie. hills and acceleration.

I guess I will leave it alone then. It works good the way I have it setup. Rarely do I see the second stage kick on.