how strong is the 6.7 trans?

srt cummins

im getting a 6.7 4x4 and the year is 07.5 how much hp will it handel before slipping.
and will the 48re work with the 6.7 motor?

im getting a 6.7 4x4 and the year is 07.5 how much hp will it handel before slipping.
and will the 48re work with the 6.7 motor?

If you are very, very conservative I would say about 450hp. If you wanna go with a 48, you will need a stand alone computer. I have a little more than what is listed in your sig. and i am Going to swap from a G56 to a 47rh, full billet unit. What exactly are you wanting to get out of the truck?

well im wanting 900hp. goin with 05ecu 04 injector tips 200hp. twin cp3s twin turbo 66 over s480 with race cover. built head. i have more stuff that not in my sig. btw this is goin n a 1500 ram

I haven't changed my ecu or any of that, but I think the 68 will not be sufficient! At all! There are a few people running a 48 in a 6.7, but the 47rh made sense to me. I wanna drive to the track, race, and drive home. I'm not at 900hp though:bang

Sun coast has a 68 holding 750ish whp. (cant remember acctual number) But if your shooting for over 900 I would recommend getting a standalone controler for a built 47/48.

well the only reason im switching ecu and injectors is cause i already have them. where cab i dind a controller and how much are they

I think Brown's diesel is running a built 48 in a 6.7. But I don't know who makes the stand alone. I went with a 47rh(alot less electronics involved)

Standalone Controller

Powertrain Control Solutions sells a universal controller that will run either trans, I think it's 750.00 for the unit. Suncoast is selling this with their valve body for 1850.00 pre-programmed, with wiring harness, but kinda pricey. The other thing (that's stopping me) is a standalone won't communicate with the factory PCM, so you'll have issues from lack of sensor inputs from the trans. sensors, no speedo. output, etc. If they can get around this, I'm in. For you, sounds like a race rig, might be just what you need.

i got one with 27,000 miles on it but its stock if anyones interested.

the whole thing is weak, convertor wont last, taking the c4 clutches, do a rebuild and the shaft breaks, it just a matter of time or money before someone does the all billet stuff, then the 6 speed will be king, strong driveable, and good mileage

thats what i was wondering the 47rh back in the 90s wasnt a great trans and didnt hold up now look at them. Do they make good converters (I know Suncoast does), billet shafts, drums that you can put more clutches in. Im just thinking eventually 48re and nv 5600s are going to be real hard to find one of these days and id rather have the 6sp

I was thinking it had several issues, as far as pretty much everything is stamped inside it.

ya i need to talk to my brother hes a Chrysler powertrain engineer in Kokomo but he works at the KTP 1 and those trannies are built at the other plant. He probably knows what the weak links are. I used to be able to get complete 48re drums with clutch packs installed and I even got VBs and whole overdrive housings from the test garage. Hes pretty sharp but he just doesnt understand why we need to take a diesel truck and have it make 600 hp or more.

Who is your brother? All of the powertrain engineering was done at CTC last I knew. They had some resident engineers that helped with quality issues and such.

Last edited:
Jason Tolle he works at old plant since 96 but hes been to germany many times. He didnt do anything with the 68 but he has done a lot with the car and minivan 6sp which is somewhat similiar.

LMAO I remember him. Stocky guy right? I still talk to some folks who work there, but many of them have bailed.

The car and minivan 6 speed are quite a bit different. Front wheel drive versus RWD. The 68RFE was based off of the 545RFE, hence while it was made at ITP1

ya thats him heres a pic I just know he has talked about the minivan trannies some but i dont know anything about them and ive never had a 68re apart either. This is my nephews graduation (its the only good pic on my computer of jason) Im on the right my oldest brother is the farthest to the right and jason is on the far left.

Attachments

• tolle boys.jpg
    tolle boys.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 14
Yea that is who I remember. I worked some offshift stuff for probably 50% of my chrysler career, my last 12months or so was on seconds and I was thinking he might have been working seconds at the time also. Small world.