how to change shift points in 47rh

ol'smoky

$$can't take it with ya$$
my 95 cummins with 47rh firepunk trans (competition stage 1) wont shift from 2 to 3 at WOT. can i adjust my tv cable to correct this? if so, which way does it need to go? thanks!

So in other words i need to "add length" to it... so adjust it to make it longer?

Loosening the TV cable should do it, but I would bet the stem of the TV valve needs shortened to correct the problem the "right" way.

At what RPM is it not shifting at??? Maybe the trans isn't set up right?
I see you have a 4k spring kit. What is the high idle rpm?

Just lossening the cable isn't alway the right thing to do, because it lowers the pressures too.

I'd call the guy who built the trans and ask what he wants you to do. Stand up guy who knows what he's doing.

At what RPM is it not shifting at??? Maybe the trans isn't set up right?
I see you have a 4k spring kit. What is the high idle rpm?

Just lossening the cable isn't alway the right thing to do, because it lowers the pressures too.

high idle is 850-900. it wont shift at WOT at any RPM... 1,500-4,000

I'd call the guy who built the trans and ask what he wants you to do. Stand up guy who knows what he's doing.

i talked to Lavon today. said it sounded like the governor solenoid. said he was going to do some digging and he'd call me back

that does sound kinda odd.... that just hit me! musta been half asleep while i was on the phone with him. surely he knows a 47rh doesnt have governor pressure solenoid???

high idle is 850-900. it wont shift at WOT at any RPM... 1,500-4,000

i talked to Lavon today. said it sounded like the governor solenoid. said he was going to do some digging and he'd call me back

You are quoteing low idle!
Hi idle is with it floured with no load.
But, since you say it won't shift at 4,000 you have answered my question.
Gov. pressure must be wrong. Put a gauge on it to see!

You are quoteing low idle!
Hi idle is with it floured with no load.
But, since you say it won't shift at 4,000 you have answered my question.
Gov. pressure must be wrong. Put a gauge on it to see!

well... that wouldnt be "hi idle". so your question should say "how much will it turn free-reving the engine in park or nuetral under no load?" and to answer your question i really couldnt tell ya. the tach stops a 4k and itll go way on past that.

well... that wouldnt be "hi idle". so your question should say "how much will it turn free-reving the engine in park or nuetral under no load?" and to answer your question i really couldnt tell ya. the tach stops a 4k and itll go way on past that.

High idle on any diesel engine is the highest speed the engine will hold with no load.

Monkey Fist Rage

High idle on any diesel engine is the highest speed the engine will hold with no load.

Monkey Fist Rage

have never heard of this in my entire life... i dont understand why they call it high "idle" if its nothing close to idle. to be honest id be scared to know what it turns free-reving under no load

Back the tv cable off until the level is NOT maxed at WOT at the Trans. If it shifts then the tv valve stem needs shortened

TV Adjustment: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-drivetrain-except-engine/345506-adjusting-tv-cable.html

Is the TV level at max travel at full pedal travel (when checking from under the vehicle)

Back the tv cable off until the level is NOT maxed at WOT at the Trans. If it shifts then the tv valve stem needs shortened

ok, so after a couple days of learning about TV adjustment and what "high idle" is :hehe:And talking to Lavon again today, i have came to the conclusion that i need to adjust the TV cable and see if that helps. if not then i am goint to have test pressures. could be bad governor. Thanks again everyone! :thankyou2: