How to fix valve seats?

jkidd_39

I finally got my hands on a cylinder head w/ 70k on it. No cracks in the seats.. great condition.

I have two other heads with cracks in the seats.. plan on fully removing the seats and replacing them w/ std or oversized seats assuming the crack is only in the seat.

My question is.. What do I do with these seats to keep them in? Pin them? Pics? Instructions??

Am I going to have to machine the seats out and press new ones in still?

Sorry for the questions guys... I have no one around here w/ diesel experience..

Help is much appreciated

Mine were just and "oversized" hardened seat that had about twice the press of the stock seats. I was guaranteed by the machine shop that did them that I would never have a problem with them. We'll see.

I argree if you have a hardened seat put in them and a heavy press fit they will be fine have put many together with that and no problems

where might i buy these hardened seats??

call greg young at ZZ Fabrication (940)337-4275. he will steer you in the right direction on what seats to use. and if you have the time put two pins in each seat. they will never come out if you do that....loose or not.

call greg young at ZZ Fabrication (940)337-4275. he will steer you in the right direction on what seats to use. and if you have the time put two pins in each seat. they will never come out if you do that....loose or not.

Thank you. I plan on only doing the head once so I wanna do it right.

There are also places that thread the seat into the head, that might be some thing to look into.

There are also places that thread the seat into the head, that might be some thing to look into.

yeah ive seen that before but it seems very uncommon due to labor costs, tolerances, leaking issues, and them unscrewing on occasion. you'd still have to spend the time and put a pin in it to stop it from backing out. cheaper/quicker to bore and press i would think