How to get oil out of cooling system?

derek528

I've blown two head gaskets and both times I got a lot of oil in the cooling system. I have drained and refilled the system a few times, but the oil isn't coming out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it out? I bought radiator flush made by peak and it didn't do anything. Then I put dish soap in the system and ran it with the petcock open while filling it with hot water as the level went down and that seemed to help a lot. Any other ideas?

Thanks Derek

Dawn dish wash soap. Cuts and lifts the oil. Fill with a mixture of hot water and Dawn, turn your heater on wide open (hot), let it come up to operating temp, shut engine off, pull bottom rad hose off rad, flush out rad and engine with hot water, hook rad hose back up, refill with plain hot water, let it come back up to temp (again with the heater on), pull rad hose again, replace hose, fill with 50/50 mix.
Your overfill bottle will most likely need attention as well. best thing i've used to clean the inside out is superclean.

Ok thanks guys, I guess i was on the right track. I'm going to flush it a couple more times and see how it goes.

If you dont want to wait for the engine to warm up pull the thermostat out. Let it run for awhile. Wont hurt it.

Last edited:
Dawn dish wash soap. Cuts and lifts the oil. Fill with a mixture of hot water and Dawn, turn your heater on wide open (hot), let it come up to operating temp, shut engine off, pull bottom rad hose off rad, flush out rad and engine with hot water, hook rad hose back up, refill with plain hot water, let it come back up to temp (again with the heater on), pull rad hose again, replace hose, fill with 50/50 mix.
Your overfill bottle will most likely need attention as well. best thing i've used to clean the inside out is superclean.

I've blown two freeze plugs under head and a truck mechanic told me to due the same thing. It works! I'd do the same exact thing as the dawn instructions above.