How to swap an ecm?

Cummin_Get_Some

diesel fanatic
Ok I'm having issues with my truck after putting a new motor in. The truck is an 05. I put a 03 motor in it, got it all hooked up and it starts and idles fine, will even rev up ok. But when I take it out on the road the first time you have to give it more fuel then probably around 15% the gauges quit working and the truck dies. Turn the key off turn it back on and none of the gauges work and truck WILL NOT START! Take the battery terminals off and back on and starts fine again!

Now with that being said I thought it might be the ecm because when the first motor blew the rod came out right where the ecm sits. So I was wanting to try a ecm in it before I bought one for it. My friend has the same truck as mine, 05 qc/sb cummins 6 speed only differences is color and mine is a g56 where his is an nv5600. So could we just put his ecm in mine to try it out or would we have to do anything other then a direct swap?

Also what all is required to make a different ecm work in a truck?

you can try it, it won't hurt anything. there's a good probability that it will start up and then die due to the VIN mismatch.