How To Turn Up A VE Pump?

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
I am completly clueless as to how I go about tweaking a VE pump a friend of mine asked me to do it for him and I am all for it so I figured it was time to learn how to :). Thanks ahead of time!
Brandon

I have no idea about them either. But I can tell you that the Governor spring is THE best thing you can do for those things. Its only about $20 and makes a huge difference.

If you turn it up to far it will take little bit to come back to idle and idle high. Take the cap off the top and turn the afc in .

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm
look at the pic here and it shows you the full power screw. it may have a black cover on the screw that you will have to pry off. under that ther will be a lock collar that will have to be pryed off also. then with the motor running turn it in a half turn at a time after each half turn blip the throttle if it hangs up in rpm back the full power screw out a half trun..

when you go to start turning the screw in make sure you have a board that you can put infront of the turbo incase of a RUNAWAY

Take the 4 screws out of the afc and rotate it out of the way, grab the spring and throw it in the glovebox. Next loosen the pump bolts and push the pump all the way to the block. The fuel screw is a pain and to get the most fuel out of it, it will need to come out of the pump and get the spot weld ground of so you can run the screw in further. I thnk you need a 13mm wrench and a 10mm socket. To take it out, leave the lock nut where it is and use the socket to back the screw out. Mark where it is for refrence and go about 4.5 turns in. The idle will be up so you will have to adjust it down but it will still be high. The gov spring i never did but would deff. do it too.

So what I read I can turn the fuel pin around, turn the starwheel clockwise, I can turn the torx bit on the AFC cover all the way in, go 2 turns clockwise with the fuel screw then idle the truck back down with the idle screw, grind the AFC but I do not see what I need to grind...
Brandon

There a sticky over on the 1st gen section on DTR that has all the info you need with pictures and stuff.

What does he want to do with it? What injectors, year?

You could just take the afc lever out when you do the 3200 spring.

Should have something ready to choke the air off if you are gonna crank in the fuel screw.

You need a lesson from Josh...12vchevydually...He's the VE guy in the group!

I don't know much about them either!
Chris

I would not recommend grinding the afc foot. If you grind it, it's permanent, so you can't go back. If you don't want to spenf too much money on it, turn the fuel screw about a 1/2 turn from runaway, install a 366 spring, and buy a DennyT Stage II Fuel Pin. It will feel like a completley different truck.

Be sure to install some gauges in there though.

Do all the things above, but instead of the 366 spring do the 354 spring you can also get it from any Bosch dealer, we went from the 366 to the 354 in our ve pumped Pro Street truck and it pulls so much better on the top end. They rate the spring at 4200 and thiers a 374 also thats rated at 3800 but we have never used it. Yes remove the full fuel screw and weld about 1/4" to the length of it.
Ryan

Back