hows an EGR valve SUPPOSED to look!?

slowride

I took my EGR valve out earlier today and it was black and pretty nasty. I wiped it off and it helped a little bit but itwas still pretty dirty. by the way my truck broke down about a month ago and were in the process of fixing it/ learning about diesels lol. were heading for the HPOP but took the EGR off along the way......so is it supposed to be clean or could this be one of my problems? thanks for your time

well the egr is gonna be dirty but was it completely filled with carbon? was the carbon on it wet did the valve on it look to be stuck open? and what is wrong with your truck? what did it do?

lost power on the way home one day. wasnt blowing any smoke, and had hardly no power. pulled it in the driveway and it was idling way bad and sounded like it was missing bad. after it acted like this for a day I decided to put my programming back to stock. after starting it a few times and nothing changed we changed the fuel filters and still nothing. the next day it wouldnt even start. took the truck to a company and they said the hpop was only putting out 400 psi. so thats where we are. were in the process of taking it apart and getting to the hpop. and the EGR had quite a bit of build up on it.

400 when cranking. couldnt get the numbers for running because it wont run. and its an 03. one of the early 6.o's

Here is what mine looked like when I pulled it out:
DSC00827.jpg

Here is what the intake looked like:
DSC00832.jpg

Here is what it looked like when we cleaned it off:
DSC00834.jpg

400 when cranking. couldnt get the numbers for running because it wont run. and its an 03. one of the early 6.o's

The HPOP probably isn't bad...you busted one of the branch tubes or something.

what the hell(and where the hell) is the branch tubes? thats the first time ive heard that theory

what the hell(and where the hell) is the branch tubes? thats the first time ive heard that theory

6.0 IH, gear train is in the rear to drive the HPOP, they have a tube come out of the pump, run rearward then splits to go to the left and right head. Kinda looks like a big "m". It then has to tubes that press in and run vertical to the oil rails that then feed the injectors.

The system is sealed with o-rings, they could be bad, tube split, rail cracked ect...

If its the "m" tube, you have to pull the top end down to the oil rails and the trans.

On another note, the late models have the main line from the HPOP press fit, earlier ones had a bolt on.

Dont ask me how I know this.

that would make sense because I had quite a bit of oil leaking down on my tranny coming from the rear passenger side of the motor a week prior to the break down.

if the branch tube (m tube) is leaking its not gonna leak on the out side of the engine. its completely sealed inside the engine

Here's a diagram...check the 6.0 Bible sticky link up top...you'll find a lot of info in there if you have never seen the layout of things before.
ps60_040_Fuel_Management_System.jpg

Back