ht3b / hx35 twins?

Lostnwalmart

hey guys ive been doing some research latly on a ht3b / hx35 set up and it looks like it is very feeseable setup. I am able to pick up a ht3b for a very good price and was wondering what all is involed in this set up using the stock turbo and the ht3b. If there is anywhere to get the pluming required or it it will basicaly be a custom fab job. I was also wondering if the is still a viable set up considering the quality of large singles out today, ill be able to pick the turbo up for $100 and it is in perfect condition no play at all and spins beautifully. i dont mind fabercating just dont exactly have all the time or tools i would probly need for it. if any one else has this set up please chime in and tell me how you like it. thx alot and hope to learn alot from you guys.
-cliff
*and studs, orings, and new gasket will go in before this goes on*

an hx35 is a little too small to recompress the air from the ht3b. it will work for a cheap twin set up but as soon as possible it would be smart to upgrade the hx35 to a 62 or 64 to help spool the ht3b. especially with a stage 2 pump that your thinkin about gettin...IMO

I agree completly but it will more be a get me buy untill i can afford a bigger turbo, would turning the 35 into a 35/40 hybrid give me a lil more? that is cheap but if id would be better off saving for a bigger turbo? thx guys, any more info or advise would be awsome thx guys

since that was the original twin turbo setup way back when it will work fine and you'll have no issues---they spool great and work very well together--now with the new pump you'll just have to see what shakes, but I'd go for it---there's plenty of companies that have piping for this setup--- www.sourceautomotive.biz or www.piersdiesel.com www.jandhperformance.com www.powerbypoole.com just a few that come to mind, but almost anyone who does twins has done this set up---are there better setups sure, but for towing and general daily driving this set up is very nice----chris

thx those sites will be very helpfull and hopefully it will be a setup than i can improve and grow with. and keep em coming, and would one of those company's be higher recamended than the others? poole looks like he has a good looking setup. thx again.

Last edited:
I was gonna mention piers set up but I guess I got beat to it.

I would think they do some mods to the Hx35 and it is not a completely stock turbo but I dont know that.

growth of the system should be thought out way ahead of time--some parts aren't interchangeable, so you need to really think where you want to head/end up and build a set that will allow you to get there or you'll be spending more money down the road---basically you just don't swap turbos and get by with re-using the same piping--you have to modify your existing turbos or use turbos that will fit your piping to grow---does that makes sense???

www.sourceautomotive.biz has the best picture set up for one to look at, so you can see what you're getting---as for who's best---that's a loaded question---it's who you feel the best about---if you talk to some other dealers then post who you're talking to here and you'll get feedback---all the above are very good people----chris

csutton7 said:
growth of the system should be thought out way ahead of time--some parts aren't interchangeable, so you need to really think where you want to head/end up and build a set that will allow you to get there or you'll be spending more money down the road---basically you just don't swap turbos and get by with re-using the same piping--you have to modify your existing turbos or use turbos that will fit your piping to grow---does that makes sense???

www.sourceautomotive.biz has the best picture set up for one to look at, so you can see what you're getting---as for who's best---that's a loaded question---it's who you feel the best about---if you talk to some other dealers then post who you're talking to here and you'll get feedback---all the above are very good people----chris

Like, you probably can t just pull the hx35 and slap on a sps 62, I am not familiar with the physical dimentions of the hx35 but it prolly wont work. Likewise goin from the ht3b to say a b2.

Now if you started with a sps 62 and wanted to swap to a 64 that would work, physically anyway.

Is that kinda what you were tryin to say?

yes/maybe--some turbos--say the HX35 and HX40 have that back half on the exhaust housing that's attached with 6 bolts, so if you get the hot pipe that's attached to that piece then any turbo with that bolt pattern should fit--should include some of the S300's--which I believe the sps62 and 64 are a family of---but it depends on wheel sizes also and maybe a couple of other things---you just need to carefully research to see how far you can upgrade the top turbo----for the bottom it's a little more difficult or it can be, unless you buy a turbo that the housings and wheels can be swapped---but going from one style to the another may/will mean new hot pipe and new cold pipe and maybe new down pipe----so when it comes to upgrading you need to talk to the guys who sell the kits or turbos and get have a clear understanding of where you want to start and then end up---chris

awsome info guys, and yes that was more or less waht i was asking on the upgrade ability. i talked to source and they said they no longer do the setup for the ht3b and ony work with the s400. they are the only ones i have gotten a response from as of yet. i also emailed poole and will probly email piers as well just got tired last night and went to bed. One major question i have is will this set up be abel to cool down the setup i plan on having which is 150 hp injectors,stage 2 godzillion hp injection pump, redline/smarty stack. if needed i can take away the injectors, chip or smarty it just sucks having them and not being abel to use becasue it get to hot lol. And as of right now this looks like my most affordable way to upgrade my turbo system and it should be a decent set up untill i can get some new turbos under the hood. (being in collage sucks noooo money). one more question can u upgrade the ht3b with new wheels? it has removable housings so I should be able to. thx for all the info so far you guys have been very helpfull.

The hx35 and hx40 back plates are differant. I've owned a few differant 40's and have never seen one that is the same as a 35. If you have a mounting bracket for the 3b it wouldn't take much to make a new hot pipe for a 40. Out of the set ups I ran on my 01 I prefered 35hybrid on top. The stock 35 didn't move enough on the top end and a 40 was to slow to spool. The hybrid spooled good and moved enough air on the top end. The had a 14 housing with the stock 35 and hybrid and a 16 on the 40.

Ok I have a question for you all, what about running a WH1C stage IV hybrid on top of the HT3B?

Andy

Dodgezilla

I believe the Dodgezilla is a hybrid 35/40 and City Diesel used to sell them. Pretty reasonable as I recall.

I just ordered my pipeing to build that exact setup on my truck I will have the stuff tomorrow and start fabbing it up hope to have it at the local track Friday to see if I need to adjust anything before indy.

The stock turbo is good set up for below 500 RWHP IMO. On my 24V I could still hit 1500* on a warm night. With a hybrid you should be able to do 550ish IMO. The reason I like the 35 over the 40 was because of the low RPM spool. I drove/towed more then I pulled. If I were in more pulls I would have probably left the 40 on, but like I said daily driving with the 35 was so much better.

Turbonetics or High-Tech-turbos have a lot of options. The big single's are the way to go. Don't build a honkie-rocket

well that had nothing to do with my question..... ne whooo what type of egt's did u get with the 40 on top 95?

honkie rocket what the heck it that suppose to mean wow plus a big single can't clean up my smoke on my truck not even a silver bullet so twins is the only way if you have alot of fuel on a 12v to clean it up enough to get great power and alow good response when towing ect.

Back