HTS tranny issues

nathan04

First let me say that I am not bashing HTS. I just need some advice.
I have a HTS Tranny Billet output,input, and intermediate shafts. Suncoast converter, etc. I bought the tranny August of 07. For the first couple months all was good with it. Then I started having issues with it. First, it would hang in gear, I would have to completly let off the throttle for it to shift. Second, under hard throttle the RPM's would flare up but the tranny was not pulling. Almost feels like it slips into neutral for about 3 or 4 seconds. They have sent me 4 different valvebodies. I have changed the sensors and fluid everytime I changed the valvebody. Last October I sent the tranny to HTS so they could try to find the issue. Dusty changed the valvebody (again) and replaced a couple of clutches that was showing wear. But he could not find anything wrong with the tranny. After I reinstalled it, the hanging in gear problem was fixed for about a month but then it started back. The other problem with it not pulling under hard throttle never was fixed. Now, last Friday while driving home from work it would not shift into 3rd gear. I have driven it since then and it still will not shift into 3rd. I checked the fluid and it has a burnt smell. Marriane give me instructions on adjusting the valvebody (again). Then she said try changing the fluid. I feel they are giving me the run around. I think I have other issues then the valvbody or changing the fluid. I know the tranny is out warranty but I have had this issue since I bought it. Anybody have an idea why I keep having these issues?

Ever wonder if it might be something related to the truck and not the tranny?

a $25 solenoid was bad in mine when i put it in my truck. mine acted like it didn't have 2nd. Had to kinda get on it in first gear and it would kinda kick out of gear and when the rpms came way down it would hit third and i could ease into it and be fine. Took 30 min to change. haven't had an issue since

I have wondered if its related to the truck and not the tranny. But, what could it be? I've changed the solenoids everytime i changed the valvebody.

Have you watched your TV pressure? Don't the 05's have the TV motor? Is the motor not working?

Get ahold of Dusty at HTS he should be able to help you out. He helped out a buddy of mine that was having a few issues with his tranny in his 06

It looks like he has gotten ahold of Dusty a few times...

I liked my HTS transmissions, my first one had some lockup issues that I could not figure out. The second one was awesome !

I agree with some of the other guys to check your TV pressure if that is off it can cause a mass of problems.

Whoops I guess if I read threw the hole thing and not skimmed it I would have caught that.

do you have a scanner? that you can monitor gov. pressure, n temp i bet its something small.

i had an issue with the truck not wanting to go into second gear had to rev it up and it would shift from first to third. i pulled the valve body and found that the spot weld on the second gear band had broken and the anchor was jammed down inside between the band and anchor plate. when i pulled the trans to swap the band i found a number of clutches burnt up some with no material left on the clutch. replace clutches and still having some issues going to try a new TC and check the pressures.

I would get it on a trailer and get it up to Dusty so he can figure out what is going on with it . Apparently there is something on the truck messing up or he would have caught it in when he redid the trans the last time for you. I am sure he can get it sorted out. It will be worth the trip .

a friend of mine has a similar probelm and it was a cracked valve body kinda the same situation i would take the whole truck up there and let them check that out.. took dusty a few tries to figure out it was the valvebody being cracked

I had issues where mine wouldnt shift and it was just a sensor, cant remember which one. I need to have the send me another valve body also. they have sent me 2 already but the one I have is older. im sure they will help you out

Alright guys just to update on my tranny. I installed the GM style governor solenoid about 2 weeks ago. Very nice piece! So far that has fixed the problem. It seems to be shifting like it should. I'm very happy with the outcome. However I am still disapointed in HTS. Marianne said because my tranny was out of warranty by one month they would not fix it. Then she told to send it to them and they MIGHT work somthing out. That would be alot work for a MIGHT. Anyway, big thanks to everybody for all the great info. Nathan

Back