HUSHPOWER / MBRP comparison

triton

Scarlet Fever
I thought I’d do a comparison of mufflers to share with you peoples. This is between a HUSHPOWER and MBRP muffler.

Done on my wifes truck, a 2007 QC 2500 which is complete stock except for a CAI with the catalytic and resonator removed.

The MBRP was installed on her truck a couple days after we brought it home. Since the muffler is a straight through design it’s pretty loud out of the box. At highway speed, it’s a great muffler and you can barely hear the truck. At idle or lower rpm’s though… it’s very loud. The best I can describe it would be blaaaaaaaaaaaaa. There’s also a good amount of drone at slower speeds.

Thanks to Richard at Hushpower, I was sent a muffler to try out. They claim it to be quieter and that it adds power. Danville performance ran one on their dyno and found they gained 13hp/33tq just by replacing the muffler. They tried first with a 4” and then found that by installing 4” reducers into a 5” muffler, they were able to gain the hp/tq and also quiet it down.

I’m still working on seeing if any mileage was gained by the Hushpower muffler but, I have found it to be a quieter muffler than the MBRP. It has a deeper tone and sounds muffled compared to the MBRP. That was music to my wifes ears.

The Hushpower is made from aluminized steel on the outside with T409 SS inside. The mesh inside the muffler is cone shaped at both ends. The holes are fairly large so I don't believe there's a need to worry about them clogging. The reducers have to be welded on which made the muffler 36” long…..the perfect length to replace the stock muffler. It weighs 20lbs

My wife is very anal about her truck and would tell me to get rid of anything causing it to not be the quiet comfortable ride it can be.

The results from this comparison showed us the HUSHPOWER muffler does what it claims as far as how it sounds. Danville performance has built some sweet trucks so I'm inclined to believe their dyno results.

hush2.jpg

hush4.jpg

hush3.jpg

Here’s a video I made of the 2 mufflers installed. It’s a little hard to tell a difference in sound but, you can notice the muffled sound the Hushpower has compared to the MBRP.

Nice write up. I have been considering getting on of these. I have straight 5" right now and it is starting to get to me now that I dd it. No one runs one up in my area so I wanted to see how they sounded before I spent the money. Someone could send me one to try out. LOL

I think they have them priced right and do the job they were built to do.

I wouldn't doubt when getting on it, the MBRP could break windows. The one on my wifes truck sure was like that. It didn't start out that way but, definitely got louder as time went by.

From what I can tell with the Hushpower, it has closer to a stock pitch when getting on it but, still carries the deep diesel tone. Performance didn't change.

I love my hushpower. A lot quieter and better sounding than the diamond eye 5" straight through I was using.

So who makes a 5" turbo back that doesn't cost $100000 and that i can fit this muffler in? I don't see a 5" anything ssytem on hushpower.com.

do you really need a 5" exhaust ? 4" does the job for quiet a bit of hp.

do you really need a 5" exhaust ? 4" does the job for quiet a bit of hp.

Need? Want? Always thought that when you getting over 600hp, you need to step up the piping.

I plan to be around 750-800 or so some day.

Need? Want? Always thought that when you getting over 600hp, you need to step up the piping.

I plan to be around 750-800 or so some day.

guess you're right. Nothing wrong with wanting that size. I don't believe it's necessary though for that hp level though. I'm at 750 and my 4" works fine. I don't know for sure but, Tim B and Lloyd M who have been over 1K hp don't have any special exhausts. They both pride themselves on the fact they do what they do with mainly stock parts.

I don't know this either but it seems the larger the pipe, the louder with more drone you'll have.

www.sourceautomotive.biz

The place to go for exhausts;) Rip had told me a couple years ago, that at around 610-625hp, he lost 10hp going from a 5" straight pipe, to a 4" with muffler...but it was well worth the noise reduction.

Me personally, I've ran both...with a single charger, he's right, 5" straight is too noisy in the cab...with twins, no muffler, 5", quiet as can be;);)

Might try a hushpower on my brothers 6.0L Chevy though...it's a little loud since I put 4" exhaust on it:hehe: Sounds good, but loud!
Chris

I'm surprised a muffler make that much difference but, I believe that's why Hushpower recommends using a 5" muffler reduced to 4. You can retain your stock 4" with no hp loss and a quieter sound.

I'll most likely drop in the 5" hush power muffler. I've heard alot of good things about it and this seals the deal.... but I just wanna run around with 5" straight for a little bit :)

Hushpower advertised it will get the Drone out.....And it does. If I can't run a straight pipe, I'll run the Hushpower!

Yeah, the hushpower is great for removing the drone and not hurting the performance. We still use them and highly recommend if you don't want the straight pipe sound.

I've had one on my 98 12v for about a year now and have been very happy with it. Truck made 748 HP and 1392 ft lbs on a single charger, fuel only, with a 4" system with the hushpower, and it is quieter than dads 05 with a Banks muffler

Back