HX35 with 9cm housing from HE351

msantwire

Has anyone ever tried to mate an HE351 9cm exhaust housing to a HX35 to make a quicker spooling HX35/HE351 hybrid? Yes I realize one is a V-band and the other bolts on I have a method to overcome that obstacle. My end plan is to have a 67mm HE351 turbine with the large outlet on an HX35 frame and larger compressor housing (haven't decided on 62,64,or 67 yet) to go on a 2ND Gen 01 Cummins. I have the 67mm/67mm HE351 on my 06 and I love it but as we all know the HE351's don't exactly fit on a 2nd gen without making new charge pipes and they look like hell.

Just do an HE351cw if you want that turbine housing.... You will gain nothing with the larger backingplate on an HX35. A whole lot of machine work involved for little to no gains.

I prefer modified HX35s. More turbine flavors available, more room to work the gate, same wheels available as the other small frame holsets, no diking around with spring gates, modified charge air piping, downpipes, etc...

The HE351 compressor housing is a pain in the ass to machine with the elbow made onto the housing and the available compressors for the HX35/40 are cheap with the correct billet wheel. and I have not found a 9cm housing for an HX35 Not really trying to make a justification because its my time and machine work, but more less to see if it has been done before.

Why would I need a spring gate?

The HE351 compressor housing is a pain in the ass to machine with the elbow made onto the housing and the available compressors for the HX35/40 are cheap with the correct billet wheel. and I have not found a 9cm housing for an HX35 Not really trying to make a justification because its my time and machine work, but more less to see if it has been done before.

Why would I need a spring gate?

Where do you plan to fasten a wastegate to an HE351cw exhaust housing?

There are no 9cm housings for the HX35 and the HY35 housing is v band just like the 341 and 351.

the HX35 I have has the wastegate mounted to the compressor housing just like the HY35 and the HE351 instead of the bracket mounted to the exhaust housing.

You could make an adapter to increase the diameter of the backing plate on the HE351/HY35 bearing housing and use your HX35 cover that way and save yourself quite a bit of headache/machine work.

Would be easier to either machine the v-band off the exhaust housing and tap 4 bolt holes. or make a split V-band to get around the cartridge and pushes the cartridge into the turbine housing.

Back