HX40W...

Shifty

Learning...
I know they aren't great, but I got a brand new one for $175, plus $100 for the down pipe... I'm hearing mixed information on the stock exhaust manifold flange working with the turbo... What's the deal, will it work, do I need an adapter, or a whole manifold??? Also, I know the shaft is the same size as an HX35, but the internals are bigger so it's harder on everything, but has anyone actually had one break??? How long did it last, how much boost were you pushing???
Should I invest in a blow off valve, or put the $650 towards another turbo??? Thanks in advance, Gavin...

I don't think the blow off valve will save the charger. I am not a holset fan, for the money you have in it, just run it.

A new turbo for a total of 250 sounds like a deal to me. Run it till it blows, then worry about another one.

Hahahahaha... Sweet... That's what I was thinking... I figure I can't go wrong with something that I have that little in, even if it only lasts me through the summer I'll be good... I'll go through everything in the winter...

saying you have an HX40 is like saying you have a Chevy... which HX40 do you have? The only thing that makes an HX40 and HX40 is the turbine wheel. Some 40's have smaller compressor wheels than the stock HX35's that come on our trucks.

the turbine shaft diameter is the same as an HX35, but the turbine wheel is larger. HX40's are available in a divided T3 flange and a divided T4 flange. If you've got a T4 flange, it obviously won't bolt to your manifold. And it'll also probably have an 18cm or larger housing.

the only HX40 I would mess with is the 6 blade 60mm compressor with a wastegated 16cm turbine housing.

I ran an HX40 on my old 97 with 370's and no plate. I made just shy of 450rwhp, I ran it at 42psi for a LONG time and eventually dropped it down to 38 after I added more fuel. It went to 45psi so I backed it down and the EGT's didn't climb any faster at 38 than 42, so I left it at 38.

I drove the snot out of that truck, and it changed hands two more times. My friend had the HX40 blow apart on him, but it had been warning him that it was getting ready to go for a good month or more.

I had mine built at a local turbo shop for $450 and I sold my HX35 for $250 and I built the downpipe using a flange that Keith at Diesel Dynamics sold me for $30. It was a great turbo for what it was, but I think I was pretty much at its working limit. It lasted a good 60k miles, and I wasn't easy on it

I just got the turbo yesterday when I was getting ready to leave work, so I threw it on the table and left... I'm pretty sure it has a T4 flange, my friend that gave it to me said he started making an adapter so it would bolt up to the stock manifold... I'm going to run in to work tomorrow, look it over, and see what all is needed and try to figure out what I have... What am I looking for, what should I measure, and what else can I do to identify exactly what I have??? Thanks for the info and good news Forrest, hopefully I get lucky and it's a half way decent turbo...

I blew 2 of them up in one summer ,, they dont like much boost at all ,,, but it wasnt too bad at around 40 PSI or so

Sell that puppy and buy a real turbo for that truck! To me the Hx40 for our trucks (unless modified by Piers) are preaty much worthless. Been there done that and it lasted a whole four weeks......

Hmmmm... Maybe I'll sell the 35, the 40, and buy something BIG...lol...

you don't have to go super big... I've run my sps62 at 50psi for the last 30k miles! before that I ran it at 48psi for a good while on my previous truck.

Make a 35-40 hybrid out of it. It's a pretty good small turbo and if you don't like it they sell good. I've ran one for about 4 years at mid 40's boost.

I'm not ready to spend big money on a turbo right now... I still have to get a converter, trans, etc, etc... What's the 35-40 hybrid??? I tried searching but came up with nothing so far...

you bolt the HX40 compressor wheel and compressor housing to the HX35 turbine wheel. but unless it's a 6 blade compressor, I wouldn't mess with it

I'll look at the turbo ASAP and try to figure out which one I have... Thanks...

If you have the T-4 flange, it is probably like Forrest said, an 18cm housing which is pretty big for our trucks and wont spool very good at all.

Yea, it's the T4 flange... Maybe I'll look into making a hybrid... Thanks for the info guys...