Hx55 as bottom turbo ???

600 Megawatts

Many Irons in the Fire
Anybody use an HX55 as the bottom turbo in street twins ???

Toying with a 22 housing HX55 as a primary and a 14 gated HX35 as the secondary in a nice tight, quick spooling street twin setup for around 500 HP.

I havent heard much at all about using an HX55?? Its fairly close to the HT3b, obviously smaller, but then you can get the smaller ex housings too which is nice.... BUt, is it delicate?? Shaft issues?? Maybe thats why you dont hear about it much...

'whaddya think??

Have you looked into the Turbo Flow Rate thread I think it was mentioned?

A 55 was a decent top turbo about 4 years ago.....not anymore, I personally wouldn't waste my time.

If your not going to go with a S480 or some other proven turbo do a BHT3B/26 for cost purposes, I'm running one right now and it works just fine in my eyes.

Jim

I am using an hx55 as it was specked for me by the performance engineer at holset in the UK
In my opinion it is a great setup with the hx35 I am using at the moment

With pods I could hit 50psi at will and it is very very drivable

only thing i would change if i was stayin with the hx35 would be a 14 housing - i have a 12 and it is limiting and hot at 1450-1600

I will test the limits of the hx55 shortly as my new secondary is a prostreet 66/71/14

O and the hx 55 brand new off ebay was cheap at $511 delivered to my door

Also there are two hx55s out there one has a 68mm inducer the other if memeory serves is 72?

Of course if you shop around you can get a 75mm s400 for about $600 shipped.

What zstroken said, a standard 75mm B2 turbo can be had for $600. My twins I ran last year used a HX35/40-14 w/ ext gate over the B2. Worked excellent, spooled quick, towed well, pulled the sled well for my fuel. No EGT issues. I did 593 on #2 and the prev owner did 800 on nitrous...

They will be for sale shortly with fresh turbo's...

DSC07347.jpg

I am using an hx55 as it was specked for me by the performance engineer at holset in the UK
In my opinion it is a great setup with the hx35 I am using at the moment

With pods I could hit 50psi at will and it is very very drivable

only thing i would change if i was stayin with the hx35 would be a 14 housing - i have a 12 and it is limiting and hot at 1450-1600

I will test the limits of the hx55 shortly as my new secondary is a prostreet 66/71/14

O and the hx 55 brand new off ebay was cheap at $511 delivered to my door

Also there are two hx55s out there one has a 68mm inducer the other if memeory serves is 72?

A Prostreet 66 over a hx55 seems like a waste? Those are really close together for twins?

OK, no disrespect, yes it is clear on all these forums that the S400's and Gt's are clearly in fashion now. But no one has explained why, other than "the HT3B's are old school, old technology and the "new" S400's, S480s GT's etc are all that".......

OK, so could someone ellaborate as to why the Garretts and the Switzers are so 'modernly superior' to an HT3B or an HX55 or HX60 as a primary ? Someone tell me what exactly is 'new technology' about these pricey turbos?

Youve got inducer size, trim and A/R to work with here..... spec out the sizes you want and get a turbo with the specs you want.... so what makes the 'in fashion' turbos in fashion right now... other than perhaps some very clever marketing and some web forum momentum ??

I've run both in a 74mm inducer. The s400 feels more 'free' and willing to be the primary. I believe this is due to both the turbine housing angle and the 'new' wheel technology. If you want to be cheap, run the HT3b. If you want to have a twins setup that feels good for an extra $150, run a s400.

Forgot to mention that the Garrett s400's feel more like a holset due to turbine angle than a Schwitzer/BorgWarner. If you ever get a chance, do a side-by-side comparison of the exhaust housings and you'll see the angle I mean. A 1.00 AR garrett and a 1.32 BW housing look almost identical in size, but the angle of the inlet is different.