I bought a truck!!

Quicktime_GT

Hey Hey..

I finally bought a truck after a few years of being off / on about doing so.. I originally wanted to stay away from 6.7's but the more I read, and after driving a couple I started to like them..

I bought a 2007 6.7 / 6 speed black 4 door 2500..

Mods are :

4" straight, turbo back
Smarty ME tune
Southbend 3250
gauges

So far I love the truck! I've been babying it around trying to see what kind of fuel mileage I can get, and the best displayed so far was 21.7, SW7 50-60mph..

at 50-60 it seems to be getting 18.5-21.7 on a local commute
at 70-75 on SW7 it seems to be showing an average of 18.5.. up to 19ish.
at 75- 80ish mph it seems to drop off to around 17 - 17.5

I'm seeing an average EGT temp cruising at say 2100rpms under no load of probably 400-500. The highest I've seen has been like 600-700 which seems kind of low to me? I think the EGT probe is mounted in the manifold, but I may be wrong, I hadn't took time to look for it yet.

Now on to the tuning questions.. I have experience with cars, but this is my first diesel.. I'm most familiar with modular fords, as my other ride is a 03 Kenne Bell cobra.. things just seem too easy with diesels ! I'm kind of paranoid about running the truck hard as I've read so many horror stories of head gasket failures.. but anyways:

What is the horsepower limits of the factory fuel system?
What level of Smarty tuning will the factory fuel system support?
What is the risk of a head gasket failure running say SW9?
What is the ideal "custom" smarty tune ( as far as torque / timing/ VGT / etc. settings) ?

I'd like to take advantage of the clutch, and run a torque setting that provides the most down low "hit," but am curious as to whether I will see other problems from doing so?

Input / Advice?

Pics wil be up soon!

Thanks,
Neil

the factory fuel system will not support SW9 on the smarty. the more popular tunes are SW5 and my favorite S7. not sure which version your running on the smarty as there are some big differences in them.

if you beat on it on SW9 with no wastegate or studs your pushing your luck IMO

my favorite setup on regular smarty tunes were SW7 with your clutch torque 3 or 4 will give you the most on bottom end. if your running version 14 (older) i would stay below timing of 3, i ran it on 2. you wont have VGT revos on version 14 but ??? Rail pressure of 2. if you have a version of smarty newer than 14 SW7 torque 3 or 4 timing 3 or 4 rail pressure 2 and VGT 3 or 4. Will give you a good start and you can play with 3 or 4's to your liking. remeber revos do not change until you reload the smarty to the truck. plug in reset your revos to where you want them and then load the SW tune you want on the truck.

As for problems running higher torque numbers with your clutch you will be fine biggest thing DONT LUG the tranny and I would suggest getting the fluid changed out to gorrilla juice you can get it from lazarsmith.com

Hope this all helps ya some. If ya need anything shoot me a pm I have most all the smarty tune versions including TNT and recovery to go backwards in versions if ya want to:rockwoot: TNT softwares start at 1 and have the smae 9 tune numbers but SW 1 is the same as SW 9 on regular tunes and they go up from there.

Hey Hey Thanks alot for the input....

I suppose the first thing I need to do is update my smarty version..

Is there any truth to the newer versions running lower timing? And does anyone know what the timing actually is on what SW levels?

I've been easing around on SW3 the last couple of days, but I think I was getting better mileage on SW7. Are there any revo settings I could play around with for better mileage?

general rule of thumb is higher boost will be harder on fuel so lower VGT settings should produce better MPG. Yes any version after the BETA 17 will have lower timing. said to be about (previous version like 14, timing on 2 is the same as timing on 4 for the newer tunes) My favorite version of smarty is still 14 ME and 18 TNT by far Im not crazy about the newest version 23 at all. SW7 on version 14 was my favorite tune. As for the actual levels of smarty timing, im sure thats a trade secret that you would have to be able to read the smarty profile (internals) to get. Remember even number SW have no timing added, odd number SW have timing added

Thanks again..

What about version 23 do you not like?

It looks like I have the 18ME version.. and I'm experiencing the service required message on the overhead that I can't get to go away..

Is there anything on the newer updates to get rid of the service required message?

Do you think that a newer version would get rid of the message?

I have the new 23ME file ready to load to the programmer unless someone quickly gives me a reason not to!

Last edited:
the factory fuel system will not support SW9 on the smarty. the more popular tunes are SW5 and my favorite S7. not sure which version your running on the smarty as there are some big differences in them.

if you beat on it on SW9 with no wastegate or studs your pushing your luck IMO

my favorite setup on regular smarty tunes were SW7 with your clutch torque 3 or 4 will give you the most on bottom end. if your running version 14 (older) i would stay below timing of 3, i ran it on 2. you wont have VGT revos on version 14 but ??? Rail pressure of 2. if you have a version of smarty newer than 14 SW7 torque 3 or 4 timing 3 or 4 rail pressure 2 and VGT 3 or 4. Will give you a good start and you can play with 3 or 4's to your liking. remeber revos do not change until you reload the smarty to the truck. plug in reset your revos to where you want them and then load the SW tune you want on the truck.

As for problems running higher torque numbers with your clutch you will be fine biggest thing DONT LUG the tranny and I would suggest getting the fluid changed out to gorrilla juice you can get it from lazarsmith.com

Hope this all helps ya some. If ya need anything shoot me a pm I have most all the smarty tune versions including TNT and recovery to go backwards in versions if ya want to:rockwoot: TNT softwares start at 1 and have the smae 9 tune numbers but SW 1 is the same as SW 9 on regular tunes and they go up from there.

Highlighted in red. Why besides the obvious? I know G56's are weak but how else is lugging them going to hurt them?
Thanks again..

What about version 23 do you not like?

It looks like I have the 18ME version.. and I'm experiencing the service required message on the overhead that I can't get to go away..

Is there anything on the newer updates to get rid of the service required message?

Do you think that a newer version would get rid of the message?

23 me with pod cleared my service message at least thus far.

Awesome ...

I use a MacBook so I'm currently on the windows xp side through bootcamp . I had problems with the USB driver and had to manually install it through system settings but it's downloading ( or uploading) to the programmer now !

22 minutes left though damn ! Had no idea it would take this long ..

--------------------

Back to the torque management, a higher level won't pose any other problems other than off line / out of hole drivetrain stress ? I have faith in the 3250 so I think I'll try out tq management on 4 \m/

What is actually mechanically happening when you change the vgt settings ? I understand how the turbo works , but how does different revo settings effect what it does ?

Well I ran my newly downloaded 23ME software tonight.. SW3 all defaults except torque management on 4.

My fuel mileage noticiably went up!! As I stated in the first post, I was probably averages 18-20 with the best I had seen at 21.7... And now the overhead is showing 22-23ish mpg!

What differences are there between 18ME and 23ME? Are we sure there just wasn't a manipulation of the overhead mileage readout in the tune lol?

So far I'm really pleased with my 6.7... It's getting decent fuel mileage, making good power and drives great. My only complaint is that its soooo quiet even with a straight pipe :(