I found a gold mine!

KBennett

Toy Hauler
I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not. This all started when one of my customers told me about this guy in the building next to them that has all kinds of surplus stuff. I had seen some military looking containers outside the building but did not think much of it.

Yesterday I was at my customers and he said that he had been over there buying some hubs for his Jeep and that the guy had a 5.9 Cummins for $1000.
Being curious we walked over to take a look. The motor was the only part of it. He has all kinds of stuff...heads, cranks, pistons, sleeves, cams, and turbos out the wazoo and most of it is brand new. He said he buys the stuff at auctions and his biggest customer is the military. He had a huge amount of Detroit motors and parts, axles, transfer cases, small engines, both gas and diesel. The guy didn't even have a business card. All I have is a phone number so if anyone is interested you can PM me.

Anyway, the 5.9 is used and the name plate said 5.9-160. It is a P-pumped 12V motor. It looks like it was out of a generator or similar industrial application.
I am thinking it may need a rebuild, it's dusty, greasy, and looks like it may have had a leaky headgasket based on some coolant residue around the headbolts. Is $1000 a good price for a complete motor minus bellhousing and flywheel? I am thinking of getting it for a re-power project.

let me know if you happen to go back over if he has any small kubot, perkins, or cummins engines. 4-3 cylinder.

Depends, on how bad everything else is. I would say it isn't a bad deal. If it is a good runner it is a great deal. Just depends on what you get into on the inside. Could have leaked enough water into the engine to require major rework. You could probably part it out and get the $1000 out of it. I might be interested inthe pump off of it.

I found a CR engine for 1800 and we thought that was a hell of a deal so I say yeah it's a deal.

I wouldn't mind having a 12v for a repower, even if it sat for a while.