i give

smokeyourdiesel

truck runs find with out smarty on. put the smarty on and when getting on it.. it cuts out or pops and i get a puff of white smoke. does matter what setting the smarty is on. just replaced the crank an cam sensor. still does it.

took to 2 different dealerships both say the truck runs like a champ.

any ideals what could be causing this??????????:nail:

sounds like a rail pressure issue, whens the last time you updated the smarty? not that it should matter, also when is the last time you changed your fuel filters? still should be getting enough fuel to the pump, but ya never know

considering his sig. i would say he should be up and up on his filters, but you never know with todays diesel.

would be curious if it is the smarty or not, when you say you took it to a dealer i assume it is with stock programming..... if it does not matter what level the smarty is on then it is causing the problems with or w/o timing added.

is it throwing any codes? if its a rail press. issue the pcm should recognize min and max RP issues.

in your case the white smoke is going to be unburnt fuel obviously.

rail pressure is about 6500-7500 at idle full throttle without smarty is about 22500 which i think is normal for stock.(it has been that since i put the guages on 3 years ago) with smarty on an full throttle 24000-25000. fuel pressure is good about 17psi at idle and might drop down to 15 with smarty on. no codes what so ever.

that is why i give up :nail: and open for suggestions

Last edited:
my smarty is doin the same thing on my 03 cummins i was thinkin my airdog is going bad
because it dont sound so good

Mine was doing it too, had my injectors tested. Two of them have bad delivery and return rates. Not sure if this is causing the issue. Will update once I get my injectors back in.

My popping and white smoke went away after changing those two injectors, however I did go from 90's back to stock tips. Not sure if that matters. Just a thought, you may want to get em' tested......

when it pops it only pops once or twice then clears up. does as it building rail pressure between 10k and 17k or so. other times will not do it at all no matter how hard i get on it.

Back