I have a dream,,,,,,

JimTJr

LOL, ok, I have a desire to build a drag truck. I picture a late 60s to early 80s short bed step side Ford.
I want it lowered and tubbed with huge meat under the rear.

And I figure the easiest power plant would be the Cummins.

So, I am here for ideas, what motor is most plentiful, easiest to get say 6-700 horse to the rear wheels, and has anyone done a swap into a Ford 1/2 ton chassis?

Thanks for any early advice you can offer! If this project gets off the ground, I will post pics and keep progress posts up for sure.

Start using the search feature and all those questions will be answered.

But off the top of my head go with a P pumped 12V for the 700RWHP, 47rh trans, 4 linked rear suspension big slicks and have fun.

Hope you got a deep wallet.

The swap can be done no problem, has someone done it, I dont know of anyone off the top of my head. The easiest to get to 6-700 would be a Cr, but not the most cost effective, or the easiest to swap. The budget if any, plays a big part in what parts you use, so if you have one let us know how much. Have you ever drag raced a diesel, if so how fast? A diesel drag truck is pretty different compared to a regular gasser to build as you have so much weight to deal with, and how they make their power.

if you are good at shoppin n swappin yu can build this truck relatively cheap
Ebay is a wonderful place for thsi kinda stuff

If it was me I would go p-pump anything to do away with the electronics - that is unless you know electronix

idk about stepside, but early model fords there are plenty, if you really have a idea in your head stay away from ^^^^ that one and build your own, I'd like to know the pump shop that built that 12mm pump with 810cc's

i heard you can build a 6.0 for less than 10 grand :bang

Yeah if you like swapping head gaskets and lots of other parts, on the other hand you should be pro at swapping heads fast for when you get that job as a funny car mechanic:hehe:

WOW, it wasn't that funny was it? LOL

I have a budget, sort of. I figured the 12v would be the best bet. No electronics, and a much more straight forward swap. I am guessing the tubbing and 4 link setup will be the most expensive part. I have a welder, and can fabricate motor mounts, radiator/CAC mounts, ect... I think.

I have ran a 4x4 Crew Cab 04 Super Duty down the track a couple times, in the low 14s. But that was with 4wd launches.

I want more of a "Street Rod" truck,, and will see the strip some of course.
I am just hoping to be in the 12s or so,,, shouldn't be too hard to accomplish I think.