I might not fit in...

cobiker

Collector of Miles
New to the site and came looking for advice. I'm nearing the point of having to rebuild my truck or look into a new one. I have a 96 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 powerstroke turbo and an E4OD trans. I bought it used in 2000 with 16,000 miles on it. I now have 450,000 miles. I love the motor. I replaced the injectors and glow plugs for the first time around 325,000 miles. A couple of starters and alternators, belts and hoses I have done nothing to it. I did use the Hypertech Power Programmer III which gave me a slight (but noticeable) increase in performance.
The tranny, on the other hand is junk. I have never gotten more than 80-100k miles out of one. The current one is a Jasper reman and seems to be better than the ones I had in the past but it is on the verge of needing repair.
I am looking for towing power and fuel economy. Any suggestions?

Welcome! Get a Duramax! Ok flame suit on...LOL

Isn't that one of those Government Motors engines?

I'm wondering if converting my truck to a manual transmission would be a better way to go...

Get a custom tuned TS chip and a BTS transmission. You will never have to worry about the transmission again....

Get a custom tuned TS chip and a BTS transmission. You will never have to worry about the transmission again....

Forgive me for being a noob, but I have not learned the abbreviations. Is "TS" a company name or type of chip? And is "BTS" a particular company that builds transmissions? Is it an automatic?

I don't mean to sound stupid, it just comes naturally

Forgive me for being a noob, but I have not learned the abbreviations. Is "TS" a company name or type of chip? And is "BTS" a particular company that builds transmissions? Is it an automatic?

Yes and yes- welcome to the site

Ts is a brand of chip and many others companies offer a "ts style" chip. BTS stands for brians truck shop and it is a diesel performance company known for build some of the best e40d and 4r100 ford transmissions in the country.

You can contact beans, swamps, gearhead automotive or Tony wildman for a custom tuned TS chip.

You can contact beans, swamps, gearhead automotive or Tony wildman for a custom tuned TS chip.

I will assume those are forum members.

With almost a half-million miles on her, an overhaul woul probably be my first step. Everything in the motor is original except for starter, alternator, injectors and glow plugs.

Welcome!

Post a topic in the Ford section and let the guys know what your trying to do with your truck.. They can help you out! It seems as you just need a little guidance.

Welcome!

Post a topic in the Ford section and let the guys know what your trying to do with your truck.. They can help you out! It seems as you just need a little guidance.

I'll take that as "go away kid, ya bother me"...JK :lolly:. Thanks

LOL you might just fit in.... :lolly:

This.

Regardless of what you do, you're looking at putting a lot of money into a truck with a LOT of miles. I'd look at what's available in a used truck. Especially if you are going to continue to drive like that.

This.

Regardless of what you do, you're looking at putting a lot of money into a truck with a LOT of miles. I'd look at what's available in a used truck. Especially if you are going to continue to drive like that.

I really like the truck. Been driving it for 11 years now and was thinking of rebuilding it. So why not get some advice and get a little extra performance and mpg in the process. I know i'm gonna have to drop some bucks rebuilding/replacing the trans. building the motor and and rebuilding the axles, suspension, etc. But I don't have to do it all at one time. Thanks for the welcome. I'm off to the powerstroke forums :thankyou2:

Welcome, I think you'll fit in fine...Let me know if you have any 7.3 questions

I really like the truck. Been driving it for 11 years now and was thinking of rebuilding it. So why not get some advice and get a little extra performance and mpg in the process. I know i'm gonna have to drop some bucks rebuilding/replacing the trans. building the motor and and rebuilding the axles, suspension, etc. But I don't have to do it all at one time. Thanks for the welcome. I'm off to the powerstroke forums :thankyou2:
If you like it, go for it. I was just merely pointing out that it's most likely not the logical course.

Not that logic is the primary motivating factor for anyone here!LOL

If you like it, go for it. I was just merely pointing out that it's most likely not the logical course.

Not that logic is the primary motivating factor for anyone here!LOL

I've heard that the newer Ford diesels are not as dependable and require more service and repair than the 7.3 turbo. That is one motivation for keeping the old beast. I am a :ford: man for better or worse. I know i could easily spend more than a decent used truck would cost. :doh:

Whaddya mean logic? Are you Mr Spock or something?:hehe:

You do notice my sig right?

Welcome!

Hows the front-end doing???

LOL 1st 4 years it gets 4k miles a year put on. The last 10 years you put on 11x the amount per year! LOL

Back