I might not fit in...

Welcome to Comp D.

1) Thank you for being able to spell and use proper grammar.
2) If you are worried about the miles/rebuild; the easiest thing to do would be find a lower mileage 7.3l engine to swap in. You can find 7.3s pretty easy and cheap.
3) TS is a style of tuner/chip. Beans, Swamps, Gearhead, Tony Wildman are people who write the tunes for that chip.

Since you are only an 1.5 away I would check out Power Hungry Performance. PM me if needed.

Welcome!

Hows the front-end doing???

LOL 1st 4 years it gets 4k miles a year put on. The last 10 years you put on 11x the amount per year! LOL

Yeah, an older man bought it for a farm truck. He took it to the dealer for service and was waiting in the showroom (big mistake). H e told a salesman that he had trouble climbing into it because it was so high and the salesman convinced him to trade it in for an F150. My wife worked for the dealer and I got it for $100 more than they gave him for trade in allowance.

I got rid of the factory automatic hubs early for some Warn manual hubs. Other than a few wheel bearings and seals...no problems at all.

Welcome to Comp D.

1) Thank you for being able to spell and use proper grammar.
2) If you are worried about the miles/rebuild; the easiest thing to do would be find a lower mileage 7.3l engine to swap in. You can find 7.3s pretty easy and cheap.
3) TS is a style of tuner/chip. Beans, Swamps, Gearhead, Tony Wildman are people who write the tunes for that chip.

Since you are only an 1.5 away I would check out Power Hungry Performance. PM me if needed.

I have not looked very hard, but I have not seen manytrucks with 7.3's for sale with less than 275,000 miles and from the looks of them they were HARD miles. You can't find them in junkyards either (at least around here). I thought of possibly finding a wreck and doing a motor swap. Has anyone heard of Garmon's Diesel Performance in Griffin, GA? Around here he has a reputation for quality and integrity. I was considering using him for some of the work. He is only 30 minutes away.

I have not looked very hard, but I have not seen manytrucks with 7.3's for sale with less than 275,000 miles and from the looks of them they were HARD miles. You can't find them in junkyards either (at least around here). I thought of possibly finding a wreck and doing a motor swap. Has anyone heard of Garmon's Diesel Performance in Griffin, GA? Around here he has a reputation for quality and integrity. I was considering using him for some of the work. He is only 30 minutes away.

i bought mine with 119k for being an early 99 2yrs ago. has 160k now :ford::stab:

i bought mine with 119k for being an early 99 2yrs ago. has 160k now :ford::stab:

I met a guy yesterday who chased down a guy with a 97 F350 4x4, 4 door, long bed. It had 125k on it and he talked the guy into selling it for 10k. :what:

:welcome: to CompD! Sounds like you will do fine here.

You've got quite a bit of catching up to do (diesel performance world wise), but that can fun too!

:welcome: to CompD! Sounds like you will do fine here.

You've got quite a bit of catching up to do (diesel performance world wise), but that can fun too!

no doubt. I have the interest but not the resources to go all out. I will most likely do it in small steps. And I'm sure there is a steep learning curve. I am old enough to know to ask a LOT of questions before doing anything. (I'm pesky that way)

You will do just fine around here. Garmons is amazing, just search and see for yourself..

Do a little searching and decide what options best suites you and your needs... Depending on the cash flow, anything is possible here cause...

This
Is
Comp D

Welcome! As a fellow OBS Ford owner I can relate to the desire to keep an old truck and continue fixing/rebuilding stuff!

Since you're on the East Coast anyway, definitely look into a BTS transmission. When I had to replace mine 9 years ago I wanted a BTS but couldn't wait for the shipping (and money was pretty tight). I went with a factory "heavy duty" rebuilt unit (apparently the one spec'd for ambulances), and added some cheap valve body modifications (basically a "shift kit"), and it is still going strong after another 64k miles of towing and racing (although I'm sure I'm on borrowed time at this point).

If I were in your shoes I would probably try to find a good lower mileage engine to swap in (possibly a newer one as long as you stay with the forged rods). Either way I'd go with slightly bigger injectors (160 cc stage ones) and tunes from one of the previously mentioned sources.

I was actually really tempted to swap in a Cummins into my truck, but decided to see how well it worked with injectors and tunes. Those really woke it up, so I'll stick with the 7.3 for now!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Welcome! As a fellow OBS Ford owner I can relate to the desire to keep an old truck and continue fixing/rebuilding stuff!

Since you're on the East Coast anyway, definitely look into a BTS transmission. When I had to replace mine 9 years ago I wanted a BTS but couldn't wait for the shipping (and money was pretty tight). I went with a factory "heavy duty" rebuilt unit (apparently the one spec'd for ambulances), and added some cheap valve body modifications (basically a "shift kit"), and it is still going strong after another 64k miles of towing and racing (although I'm sure I'm on borrowed time at this point).

If I were in your shoes I would probably try to find a good lower mileage engine to swap in (possibly a newer one as long as you stay with the forged rods). Either way I'd go with slightly bigger injectors (160 cc stage ones) and tunes from one of the previously mentioned sources.

I was actually really tempted to swap in a Cummins into my truck, but decided to see how well it worked with injectors and tunes. Those really woke it up, so I'll stick with the 7.3 for now!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

How much did the injectors affect mpg's? I have lots of ideas but don't know what is possible (I know anything is possible if you have enough $$$). I thought of true dual exhaust but i don't know how that would work without twin turbos and I'm sure that would be expensive but would probably sound awesome.

How do you identify an engine with forged rods? Is there a casting number or tag on it somewhere?

Injectors and tunes were added at the same time & seem to help towing mileage by about 1.0 mpg, but am capable of getting worse mileage by running much faster up hills! Basically they are better mileage if I can keep my foot out of it.

I doubt a dual exhaust would do anything with a single turbo.

I have heard that you can visually spot the forged rods by removing a plug near the oil filter and looking inside with a flashlight (and rotating crank as necessary to get a good view of rods). I'll bet you can do a search for something like "PMR or forged rods" and find more details including the build dates when they started PMRs.

Back