I need banjo fittings for dummies

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
How is a banjo fitting measured? I can find metric banjo fittings all day long on the net but when it says 17mm is that the size of the opening or the socket/wrench size of the banjo bolt that goes in the fitting?

For example the fitting I'm interested in has a 17mm head on the bolt that goes through it.

Andy, do you go to the hardware store when you're buying bolts and tell them it has a 9/16 head on it, so those are the bolts I need? :huh::
It makes no difference what size the banjo bolt head is, hell that could be anything. They list them by the inside diameter of the fitting.

Timbeaux38 said:
So you need the female side?

Yup, but it has to mate to my existing 17mm head banjo bolt because the hole for the bolt already exists. I'd take the bolt out and have it sized at the hardware store but the small problem of the car not running w/o it causes a slight problem.

I'm trying to make a 110% bullet proof oil feed line for the turbo vs. what I have and you can buy these banjo fittings with 1/8th and 1/4th npt fittings already permanently part of the fitting.

I tried the Summit store a few weeks ago (with fitting and bolt in hand) and they are nothing but a bunch of clueless Wal Mart employees selling parts at Gucci prices. If it requires more than 2 minutes of thought they just refer you to another place that has a clue across town or the next county over.

Sad.

If I had the money I would open the same operation with experienced parts store counter help and a few skilled machine shop guys and stock the place vs. 10K sq ft of junk bolted to displays that does nothing but take up valuable space because you can't be both mail order and a walk-in parts store without skilled help IMO.

Last edited:
partsguy662 said:
Andy, do you go to the hardware store when you're buying bolts and tell them it has a 9/16 head on it, so those are the bolts I need? :huh::
It makes no difference what size the banjo bolt head is, hell that could be anything. They list them by the inside diameter of the fitting.

Missed this post and this is what I figured. How do I get the correct measurement? Will a set of calipers work? Since the fitting I have is oem VW I wouldn't be so sure the size is on it and its not a simple job to pull it.

I guess I could order 3 sizes but that's a waste of money. This is what I get for modding an odd-ball motor that nobody on this continent is screwing with. Of course carquest and napa don't carry this stuff either.

Thanks.

Last edited:
TooMuchBoost said:
Missed this post and this is what I figured. How do I get the correct measurement? Will a set of calipers work? Since the fitting I have is oem VW I wouldn't be so sure the size is on it and its not a simple job to pull it.

I guess I could order 3 sizes but that's a waste of money. This is what I get for modding an odd-ball motor that nobody on this continent is screwing with. Of course carquest and napa don't carry this stuff either.

Thanks.

Correction....You havn't found a parts guy at either place to look them up for you.... ;)

And, a caliper should work just fine...

Andy, you want Scott's #? I can post it so you can get your part and the rest of the members can prank call LOL

I'll R/R it and measure it then....thanks.

Timmy, I might just need that since nobody else has a clue around here.:doh:

One of my customers actually owns a ton of Bumper to Bumper stores in GA in addition to 10 new car dealerships and I'm trying to get him to open one on the Jonesboro Rd exit (where Home Rip-off and Sam's is) because they always seem to have a clue and everything anywhere near me seems to be a 'retail' parts store. It doesn't hurt that he has his own B2B distribution warehouse either.

A parts store with a clue off that exit would make a killing.

Last edited:
Metric bolts are measured by diameter and thread pitch, IIRC the banjo bolt on the VP44 are 17x1.5mm. If you know a decent parts fella at the VW dealer they should be able to tell you the metric dimensions of that particular banjo.

Back