I need some help!

bmarlatt

Mirrors Down
I was coming home from Home Depot earlier tonight pulling our 16' enclosed trailer and my truck just cut out and died. It restarted while I was coasting but when I let out on the clutch it died again.

I stopped and checked if anything was obviously wrong and nothing seemed to be. It started again and sputtered and white smoked and wouldn't idle on its own. At this point I limped it from shoulder of the highway into a nearby church parking lot.

I checked the oil and it was a quart low so I added some oil and then checked the coolant and it was full but had alot of pressure on the radiator. I then started the truck again and it ran ok and made it home.

I'm now trying to figure out what happened. It's a 98 12v 5spd. with only a 4k gsk and no plate with some AFC tweaks.

Any ideas would be apreciated.

I forgot to mention my injection pump was off about 2 months ago and checked out by a local pump shop... I'm kind of thinking they might have missed something.

Idk maybe it's shorting out? Only thing I can think of that has control over the shut off solenoid other than the key. If it happens again open the hood and see if it's pushed down.

Before I pulled my IP it was 20 psi at idle

And I hadn't thought about the clutch safety switch... it will start with the clutch not pushed out.

20psi is too low for a 12v. what kind of lift pump are you running?

I was thinking solenoid as well.

Could be corrosion on the connections that caused it to not hold up...
20psi is too low for a 12v. what kind of lift pump are you running?
I'd guess stock, which should be plenty, but it could be going out. How many miles?

With that thought, OFV could be just returning WAY to much fuel.

I was thinking solenoid as well.

Could be corrosion on the connections that caused it to not hold up...
I'd guess stock, which should be plenty, but it could be going out. How many miles?

With that thought, OFV could be just returning WAY to much fuel.

Solenoid is about 2 months old. The OFV has less than 20k on it and the whole truck has 180,000.

However after driving the truck yesterday and again today it seems to be running fine.

When it died Sunday evening it was raining pretty hard and I was going about 65 pulling a trailer. My uncle suggested that I may have been sucking water in my intake and the truck just drown out. I'm running a BHAF so my intake is pretty open, he said his pulling tractors would never run when it rained because they sucked in water. Has anybody had this happen or am I being crazy?

how long ago was your fuel filter replaced. the extra load of the trailer would make the truck want a higher volume of fuel at lower RPM and if the filter is getting clogged it wouldn't be able to keep up, my brothers truck did something similar to this but a fuel filter solved it. and we cleaned the screen in the lift pump itself.

Fuel filter was changed at the last oil change. I'm gonna agree with wiring somewhere, hopefully sometime in the next month whenever work calms down and planting is done I'll have time to start looking for problems.

Well I had to take a pallet of seed to work this morning (I work at a seed company) so I drove my truck. About halfway there it started cutting out and white smoking again, only this time I didn't have enough power to get past 2nd gear and it didn't get better after I sat. What I did notice is that I used 2 quarts of oil in about 50 miles... and my coolant now has a nice oilish color to it.

So I'm guessing I blew my head gasket.

After a couple of weeks of working on my truck in between work and my cousins getting bored since we can't plant I've learned a few things but still don't have it fixed.

1. My wiring is all fine and my solenoid is fine.

2. My crappy looking coolant was caused by my thermostat being stuck closed. It was so bad that it wouldn't open when beaten with a hammer. I replaced it. My gauge in the dash never got about 190 so it's either broken or it never got hot.

3. My truck is still acting up, doesn't idle, white smokes, and has no power sporatically. Started doing some checking. When it's acting up if the number 1 injector line is broken loose it doesn't change how it runs, the rest make it not run at all. So we pulled the injector and pop tested it and it was fine.

This leaves me thinking it's my injection pump that is messed up. What we can't figure out is why that it only runs poorly part of the time? Any Ideas out there?