idle problem

dan33klein

I after switching to an auto tranny and the weather cooling down I had to bump up my idle. I did it and it idled at about 800 and it was nice, the next day when I drove to school and the motor fully warmed up. I put my truck in park and the idle went up to 1200. I got out and poped the hood. I made sure the throttle linkage was pulled all the way closed and it still idled at 1200. So I had to turn it down. Now the truck idles at when I first start it at 250 and when it warms up about 500. I need to turn it back up. But I can't have it hanging up at 1200 when I throw it in park

I'd loosen the governor springs first. Then I'd check with shop air when AFC arm starts to move. Do you have the original spring in there? Starwheel adjusted loose?

Does it smoke at idle? Does it leak anywhere? Is idle erratic in other ways than what's described here? Fuel press?

bump it down to 750 or maybe lower in 50 rpm increments, my 4 gsk takes off to the moon if i try to high idle it, but at 700-750 cold it hangs in there, but mine has very touchy throttle.

My throttle is extremely touchy also. Is soon as I raise it to about 1k it takes off to 2k with a mm more of pressing the pedal. I was thinking the gov springs also. I think I need to tighten my starwheel too. Thanks for the tips. When I get a chance to mess with it I'll keep you guys updated

Loosen your GSK a click, then readjust. It'll take a bit of the sensitivity away. It'll lower your top end as well, but its all a compromise.

Smoke at an idle is an injector/timing issue. AFC controls the fuel beyond idle, not at idle.

i need to bump my timing bad, i have the kit but broke my wrist and im not at my full potential yet

Well, I asked about the smoke at idle because of the timing Tate. A question was asked and I tried to give all the pointers I could.