Idle RPM during winter months

ChuMaDD

Meh
Has anyone ever adjusted their idle RPM to be slightly higher (than the recommended specs that dodge gives) during the winter months to assist with warming up? And by higher I am thinking 850-900 RPM not much more than that. Would this potentially hurt anything? I don't think it will, other than maybe my MPGs but wanted to see if I am missing something before I try it.

Last edited:
I set up a choke style cable to raise idle in the winter time. Works good and I can still have a normal idle rpm.

Isn't 850 the factory idle speed spec anyway? I use a cut off broom stick and the power seat to set the speed.

I left my '97's (auto trans) idle @ 900RPM at all times. I live in MI. Doesn't really matter what idle RPM you set it at as far as warming up idling. A 12-valves is not going to warm up to operating temp just idling in below freezing ambient temps. What I would do with my '97 is start it, raise the RPM to 1,500RPM once I saw the oil pressure gauge move, hold it there for two minutes (just to get a little heat in it and so it didn't stall in gear), and then drive off taking it easy until the engine was up to operating temp. Always took about 15 minutes of driving in ~20* weather for the engine to get up to op temp.

Low idling a diesel engine in cold temps causes cylinder wash down which is no bueno.

Last edited:
I keep my idle as high as I can without my RPM's hanging (no tach). On my truck, if you set it too high, the RPM's will hang (reducing engine braking) and will run away if set high enough. I think most of that is caused by the 4k GSK.

Where it is set now is quite a bit higher than stock, but it starts way easier (especially in cold weather), warms up quicker, and doesn't shake the cab at idle.

Bumped mine to 900 this weekend after adjusting the governor. started right up this morning on 40 degree weather.

mine is around 750. when its real cold i too just raise the rpms up a for a minute to help get some heat in it.

Bringing this thread back to life. Anyone used a little electric solenoid or something to "kick" the throttle arm on the pump back and raise the rpms? (Like a 1200-1500 rpm high idle on a toggle switch) A guy I know did it but I can't track him down to see what he used. I planned on using an old solenoid from a 390 ford carb thats used to snap the throttle linkage closed tight when the truck was shut off but turns out it wasn't operational, so back to searching for something that'll work.

I use my factory lug nut wrench, fits just right between the seat and peddle or I cut a 1x2 to correct length.

I use a cut off broom stick and the power seat to set the speed.

Same here. I run mine up to @ 1200rpm. I also turn the defrost on, which kicks the AC compressor on, just to put a bit of load on the engine. Works great for me. Gets warm enough to melt the frost off in @ 7-8 minutes.

I keep my idle as high as I can without my RPM's hanging (no tach). On my truck, if you set it too high, the RPM's will hang (reducing engine braking) and will run away if set high enough. I think most of that is caused by the 4k GSK.

Where it is set now is quite a bit higher than stock, but it starts way easier (especially in cold weather), warms up quicker, and doesn't shake the cab at idle.

Mine did this to me a couple weeks ago at a pretty tame idle speed bump. I figured the governor was going bad or something. good to know this isnt just me.