II Silver 62 turbo

kino_fab

KTPA Tech Official
I am getting ready to order a new turbo in the next couple of weeks and have really been looking at the II Silver 62. My original plans were to build the truck for a 2.5 sled pulling class. Here is what I wanted. Silver 62, DDP 90hp sticks, DIY cp3, Smarty, TST, MagnaFuel 320gph pump, and the supporting mods to help hold it together (studs, Valves spring, ect....). I just recenty forecasted my budget for the next few months though I am not sure if I can get eveything that I need in time before the season starts. I thought about if I can atleast get the turbo and the head studs, along with the Smarty and TST and the fuel system then I should be fairly competitive. Though the question I have is wil that be enough fuel to keep that turbo spooled. Fro what I have heard the Silver 62 is just like the Bullet, it just has a 62mm inducer instead of a 66. So with that said I must need alot more fuel than the stock injectors and CP3 can offer. If anyone can shed any info on this, please do so.

My only other option that i had in mind has a HTT 62/14 instead, though I know it doesn't support as much power as the Silver 62/14. Though some of the other mods I plan on getting over the summer and next winter. I just do not want to get a turbo that is too big for what I am using, and not be competitive at all, but then again I do not want to get a smaller turbo and then just have to do the samething all over agian next winter. I know this all sounds confusing, but if anyone understands what I am trying to say, then please help me out.

Didn't catch what year your truck was??
62 is a good size, but the cr trucks can spool a bigger turbo pretty easy.
I would look at a HTT SS 64/65or71/13. It's alot of turbo for the money and I think your truck would love it. I have seen an '03 with the 62/71/13 and it tows like crazy, but it's not a sledpuller. That truck made over 700hp with the Smarty and TST stacked, and a few other minor mods.
I would rather have a turbo that is slightly to big than have one that is to small. $.02

I've got a Silver 62, except I ordered it with a 12cm exhst. housing for quicker spool for daily driving....It spools pretty good...a little slower than stock.......When I've running my BD on Crazy Larry and my MP8 all the way up, It'll spool pretty dang fast...

I don't know anything about sled pulling but I'd be surprised if a 62 would be enough air for the mods you are doing.......Seems the EGT's would be a problem.........

If I had it to do over, I'd prob. have ordered the HT 64/71/13.....That would be more air for my future mods....

Just my $.02

"CUMMINS GUYS KEEP IT STRAIGHT!!! THOSE OTHER GUYS SWING BOTH WAYS!!!"

Last edited:
I would go with a bigger turbo, but from what I hear there are only a few 64mm turbo's that will pass a 2.55 plug.

The reason I am asking about there being enough fuel is a friend of mine has either a PS/ SPS 66 or a Silver Bullet 66, injectors and cp3. If he drops the clutch too early at the get go or when he gets about the 275 mark his truck chokes out and the turbo starts to surge acting like its not enough fuel. THough in my opinion he is running to big and too agressive of a tire. M/T MTZ 35 12.5. Though the truck ran like a beast the first time out. He was at the TS event in Bowling Green, KY last year. It was the blue Megacab.

Last edited:
Does the class/organization you want to pull in allow bushings? If so go 64 or 66 and have it bushed down to make 2.55....that way if you want to go bigger, you just take the bushing out, or just put it in when you get to the pull. That way you don't have to buy a second turbo down the road. I think you'll spool a 62 just fine, my 2nd Gen would spool a 62 fine I think, and your truck should have more fuel and flow air better being a 3rd Gen.

I am running the Silver 62/14, and have had no problems whatsoever. The way my truck is set up now I have no lag. Spool up is instant and towing is a breeze. Mines boosts to 52 PSI with no trouble at all, and at 52 PSI I am seeing 56 PSI drive pressure. I'd say that's pretty good for a 62.

If you limit yourself to a 62 get the Silver with 14cm housing and the 74mm exhaust wheel. The housing and wheel work great to keep your drive pressures down in the higher RPMs. If you need more turbo, you can step to a Silver 64, which will give nearly the same performance with more flow.

Last edited:
Big Swole said:
I've got a Silver 62, except I ordered it with a 12cm If I had it to do over, I'd prob. have ordered the HT 64/71/13.....That would be more air for my future mods....

Thats what I would do. 13 spools fast and 64 is good, cool air volume.

Went to lunch with both DHRA and NADM this past month. The new rules will not allow plugs. I asked them both about the use of plugs. They said NO PLUGS this year. Compressor size is not the only way to make more power. The turbine size and configuration of the the turbine shaft and housing are just as important to making hp. You must get the exhaust out and lower drive pressure to make hp. The larger turbine shaft drives the turbo speed faster which makes more air. We make a Silver Bullet 64/14 or 64/12 both of which are great turbos. There are some tricks that I have thought of that might be inside the rules barely. We have new turbo products that we have came out with this year that will be VERY well received by the Sled Pulling and Drag Racing truck owners. We are trying to get them on our web site so that you can take a look. Thanks